Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benice101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 09:12 AM
    What is a dry socket
    Hi I had a tooth removal it was the right bottom last tooth... it was abcess prior to this I was prescribed antibiotics, before the tooth removal and then back to have it removed a month later. The tooth site where the tooth removed was looking like it was healing now it has like a white inside the socket I was wodering if this is normal or should I go back to my dentist. It feels a little swollen and hard to open my mouth. I have been rinsing with salt and warm water also I have antibiotics should I also take those to make sure it is healing properly.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 09:39 AM
    This is a common conditon where the bone is exposed leaving the area open to infection. Sometimes this occurs when the patient has been eating hard foods and chewing in the area, dislodging the blood clot, which develops to further the healing process. When this blood clot is present the healing takes only 3 to 4 weeks, if the blood clot dissolves, then the area will take six months to heal.

Yes, take the antibiotics and go back to your DDS for a check up. Continue rinsing GENTLY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do at home for a dry socket [ 5 Answers ]

What can I do at home for my dry socket?

Dry socket or just soreness? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! Some of you know that I just got my wisdom teeth removed on the 9th, early in the morning. It's been about three days now. I have been using the prescribed rinse twice a day and there's still a dull pain in my bottom jaw, especially on the bottom left. I can't really tell if the blood...

Dry Socket [ 2 Answers ]

So I just had my wisdom teeth out Tuesday.. and I had 2 dry sockets by Friday and both were filled in and feeling better.. I was just wondering when I can smoke again? I took a light drag of one last night and seemed to be all right.. and one more question after you get rid of a dry socket, can you...

Dry socket relief [ 3 Answers ]

It has been 5 days since my 4 wisdom teeth have been removed. On the 3rd day I had an intense pain on my lower left hole. Went to the oral surgean next day and he said, I may have a dry socket but he is unsure. He packed the tooth hole and told me to come 2 days later; he also gave me vicodin for...

I have had a molar extracted with dry socket [ 2 Answers ]

I had a molar tooth extracted and ended up with a dry socket which had to be packed three times now the gum never closed it formed a bubble inside the hole which is now hanging out of the hole from the inside and it is starting to hurt on the inside and the outside on the bone next to my cheek....

View more questions Search