Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    important Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Credit report : what it means
    1) What is meant by Charged off account, Account closed by credit grantor and Collection account?
    2) If my credit report for one account says date opened 1999 and is charged off and also says account closed by credit grantor; does this mean that I do not have to worry about paying this off since the account is too old?
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 26, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by important
    1) What is meant by Charged off account, Account closed by credit grantor and Collection account?
    2) If my credit report for one account says date opened 1999 and is charged off and also says account closed by credit grantor; does this mean that i do not have to worry about paying this off since the account is too old?
    No, it's means that your credit score is really hurting and you're going to have a collection agency pounding down your door.

When a creditor puts "charged off" on your credit report it means that they no longer believe that you will pay them, and they have written the debt off, which usually means that they have sold your debt to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar. The collection agency will then hound you until you pay what you owe or settle for an amount that they believe is fair. They can go as far as to take you to court to have a judgement placed against you.

Account closed by credit grantor means that, in the case of a credit card, they have basically taken your privileges away. Even if there is a balance on the card you can no longer use it because you did not make you minimum payments on time or at all. Even if you do pay the balance due to the creditor they no longer want to do business with you. It's very negative on your credit because it's like a warning to other creditors saying "Watch out! This person does not pay!"

If you ever want a good interest rate on a home or a car ever again, I'd work on getting this fixed ASAP!

Feb 26, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Thanks a lot.

Basically, no matter what it is... whether charged off or collection account... U would suggest me to pay it... Right? But, if the account is very old, maybe 7 yrs or more... what do I do? What if I am not in a position to pay? Even if I negotiate and pay, will my credit score recover?
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 27, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Yes, pay it. If you can find out who the collection agency is then send the what you can afford. (It can be $5, but you have to pay that every month until your debt is paid off.) If you just start sending them money you can't get trapped into a "deal" with a collection agency, that's what I did. You can find out if you account went to collections by contacting your creditor or looking at the "collections" portion of your credit report. Also find out if you can make payments directly to your creditor. When the collection agencies buy your debt they end up charging you all kinds of fees. Ex: Your debt was $200. Collection agency bought it, and now they are reporting that you owe $1200. They have to make money some how, so they charge you for attorney fees and things like that. It's stupid, and they are not nice or understanding people. I have a deep HATE against the collection agencies of the world!

The 7 years thing you are referring to is, a collection will typically be removed from your credit 7 years after it's paid off. (I think it also has something to do with the statue of limitations for when a collection agency can sue you.)

As for your credit recovering, yes it will. It just takes time. I was laid off in late 2001. I ended up getting WAY behind on all my bills because unemployment was less than half of what I my salary was. I almost had my house foreclosed on, did a short sale instead. My credit score when from 820, which is almost unheard of, to 490 in a matter of months. It is now 5 years after the crap hit the fan, and I've been able to get my score back into the low 700's.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Feb 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Just to add to the fine points made by shelley7180. Derogatory items SHOULD drop off your report 7 years from the date of last activity (except a Bankruptcy which stays for 10 years). Sometimes this date of last activity is tenuous. If you start negotiating with the creditor or paying on the debt, you might reset the 7year clock. Since a derogatory item affects your score less the older it gets, you might even LOWER your score by paying off a 6 1/2 year old collection/charge off, because the activity date is now recent. Even though it may be morally right to pay off an old debt, it could hurt you. Sometimes it is best not to poke the sleeping badger with a stick.

Mar 1, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Thanks a lot for the inputs.

Basically, if I choose not to pay the earlier accounts, how do I improve my credit score. Will having a pre paid credit card help? What are the other options?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit report [ 11 Answers ]

On my credit report I have a collection agency that reported first in 1999 Just when that was about to be removed from my credit report they (the collection agency)sold the account to another collection agency who re-reported it and now it will be 7 more years before it will be removed.it is the...

Credit report [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody now where to get a free credit report and score when you have no credit card to give them Thank you Demon

Credit report help [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania I was listed as an authorized user on a family member's credit card. This account has turned into a collection account and I found out that it has affected my credit report negatively. I want to get the fact straight before I decide whether I want to...

Credit Report [ 4 Answers ]

When I went to refinance out of my ARM the mortgage firm I delt with said that I had some things on my credit report that shouldn't be there.. What steps do I take to rid this problem?

Credit Report [ 2 Answers ]

If you purchase a vehicle at a buy here pay here lot and they don't view your credit to get this vehicle can they report a repossession on your credit report years after the vehicle was taken back?

View more questions Search