Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Xha93 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Apartment fire, landlord is putting all liability on me
    I was melting wax in my kitchen for an art project, out of nowhere the pot caught on fire. As I tried to stop it with a cloth, my roommate yelled out for me to put it in the sink and put water on it which triggers the fire even more. The fire went off in front of me and touch the water sprinkler that went on for about an hour before the fire marshal came. Nothing was burned but the entire place got flooded. Now the landlord is putting me responsible for all the damages from the cleaning/removal of water that somehow ended up to be 10,000$. They are planning to replace the entire kitchen cabinet and carpet so who knows how much that will cost.
    I am in no way running from it but since I didn't have renter insurance, I ask of them to file it to their insurance which they bluntly refused. I would be willing to pay for the deductible too. And my roommate is putting it all on me when she is part of the cause. I'm only a freshman in college and there is no way I am capable of paying that much amount of money.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xha93 View Post
    I was melting wax in my kitchen for an art project, out of nowhere the pot caught on fire. As I tried to stop it with a cloth, my roommate yelled out for me to put it in the sink and put water on it which triggers the fire even more. The fire went off in front of me and touch the water sprinkler that went on for about an hour before the fire marshal came. Nothing was burned but the entire place got flooded. Now the landlord is putting me responsible for all the damages from the cleaning/removal of water that somehow ended up to be 10,000$. They are planning to replace the entire kitchen cabinet and carpet so who knows how much that will cost.
    I am in no way running from it but since I didn't have renter insurance, I ask of them to file it to their insurance which they bluntly refused. I would be willing to pay for the deductible too. And my roommate is putting it all on me when she is part of the cause. I'm only a freshman in college and there is no way I am capable of paying that much amount of money.
    Too bad.. this really IS all YOUR fault.. and YOU are personally liable for it. YOU started the fire... not your roommate.

Guess that $100 a year the renters insurance would have cost (but you avoided so you would have beer money) sounds like a bargain now... doesn't it.

Expect to get sued over this. And to lose.

If you have money for College... you can pay for your obligations even if it means deffering school. And College is a LOT more expensive yet you have money for THAT.

Welcome to the real world.. time to own up to the responsibilities for your own actions, you aren't a kid any more.. you are an adult. And don't claim you didn't know candle wax was flamible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Yes, why did you not have renters insurance, same as someone falling in your apartment.

But yes you sound liable, but if you can't write him a check, he is going to sue you, and get a judgement, You may want to work out a payment plan with them.

Even if "his insurance" paid, they would just require you to pay them back, ** if they would even pay, they would not pay if it is not their clients fault most likely anyway.

So get that check book out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renter's liability after fire [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can you please tell me what happened in your case. The similar incident happened in at my side and I need help so if you don't mind can you update me on this incident. Thanks a lot in advance

Tenant liability for fire? [ 8 Answers ]

Who is liable to pay fire brigade bills if the fire was caused due to bad wiring and Tenants do not have content insurance?

Accidental Fire Liability - CT [ 12 Answers ]

I am a renter in CT. My apartment was in an accidental fire(stove was accidentally turned on without my notice, the indication light on stove might have failed to turn on and eventually the stove caught fire). Fire Marshall said the electric stove has a burner and that caught fire and it was purely...

Apartment Owner Liability After Fire [ 1 Answers ]

An apartment building (3 units) caught on fire next door to a house that I own. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined or may not be determined. The building collapsed and burned to the ground. There was extensive damage to my house, and it is considered a total loss. My house was...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search