Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristo Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Feb 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
    2 maths exercises
    1. A pipe fills a pool in 4 hours, another pipe drains a full pool in 6 hours. How long will it take to fill the pool if both pipes are opened?

2. A pool is connected with 3 pipes. Two pipes fill the pool and one drains it. It takes 3 hours for first pipe to fill the pool and 2 hours for the 2nd one. The third pipe drains a full pool in 6 hours. How long will it take to fill the pool if all pipes are opened?

Ugh, they seem so simple lol, but I can't solve them, just a few guidelines would help..
    I'm off to sleep now, so thanks to anyone who helps.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
    1) pipe 1 fills the pool 1/4 in 1 hour. Pipe 2 drains the pool 1/6 in 1 hour
    you're looking for the condition:

solve for t

2) you can do the same for this one, have a go and tell me what you come up with.

Let me know if you need further help.
    kristo Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Feb 27, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Thanks!
    So is it 12h for the first one and 1.5h for the 2nd exercise?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2007, 05:02 AM
    That's what I got :)

Well done!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

About maths in GRE [ 3 Answers ]

i'm a b.tech biotechnology student who wants to appear for gre.i'm really poor at maths since i'm a bi.pc student.i really can't concentrate on maths due to my poorgrades in it in school days. Now there's gre ahead.how should i prepare for it? Is it really tough? i'm really good at other...

Advance maths [ 2 Answers ]

Need some help with vectors and functions or any website with these information relating to vectors and functions. VECTORS -addition, subtraction, and multiplication of vectors by a scalar -displacement and position vectors -magnitude of a vector -equal. Parallel and perpendicular vectors ...

View more questions Search