Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HZJ7544 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 11:53 AM
    H1B Tax Filing
    Hi Experts,

I arrived in the US on H1B status last June 30, 2006 together with my wife and son who are on H4 visas. Then on Sept. 1, 2006 my wife gave birth to our daughter. We never left the US since we arrived.

1.What are the detailed steps that I need to take when filing my income tax?
    2.What are the forms that need to be filled-up?
    3.Do I need to seek professional help in my situation?

I'm not sure if this will help but I was in the US for some parts of 2001, 2002 & 2003 on L1 visa.

Thanks in advance!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 11:30 AM
    You will file jointly with your wife, probably filing Form 1040A.

You will need to submit W-7s for your wife and son who are on H-4 visas to get them ITINs.

I have posted the ITIN submissionat least a dozen times over the past three weeks. Please review on of those postings.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1B Tax filing-SS tax refund? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. Arrived in US in Aug 2003, on OPT from Jan 2006 and on H1B from October 1st 2006. I started working in Feb 2006 in California. Throughout the year in 2006 Social security , medicare and disability taxes were deducted from my paycheck. Will I get a refund for these...

H1B Tax filing - question [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert - I have been reading your advice on this forum and have a question of my own. I changed from OPT to H1B in 2005 and now don't know which forms to fill. 01 Jan to Oct 13th - on OPT Oct 13th onwards on H1B I was a student uptil May when I graduated. Which forms...

F1 to H1B tax filing details [ 7 Answers ]

Thanks for your time and patience in reading this request. I was working at my university on F1 status from Jan 1 2005 to Feb22, 2005. I was then on my OPT till OCT 1 2005. Then I was in H1B from OCT 1 2005 to Dec 31 2005. This is the first time I am filing taxes by myself. I did buy a software...

F1 to H1B tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a little confused about what forms and how many versions of them I must fill out this year. I was an F1 (Canadian) student (on OPT) until 4/1/05. After that date, I became and H1B non-immigrant worker. My employer has broken my income into two separate W-2s. The first, from when I...

F1 To H1B tax return filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what form should I use to file my returns? Here is the information on my status. I came in USA in August 2001 on a student visa. I got my OPT in Jan 2004. And I joined a consulting firm and started earning from May 2004. Meanwhile my status was changed from F1 to...

View more questions Search