Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esteveze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Hair color with reddish-coppery tint
    A little bit of history.
    My hair is naturally Dark brown L3. In July last year I had my hair lifted 3 levels, It turned out Orange. I went back to hairdresser and he gave me a level 5.0, and it turned my hair DARK brown with redish-coppery tint.

In December I change the color back to Dark brown (as close to my natural color level 3). The product I used was "Wella 2n Color charm, permanent".

Now my hair still has a reddish-coppery tint to it. The more I wash my hair the more the reddish shows up.

I want to get my hair to a medium brown, and some light brown highlights.

Now my questions are:
    1- can I lighten my hair to a medium-light brown?
    2- What about my roots, since its virgin hair: do I treat them differently? How?
    3- Can I mex medium brown and light brown?? Or do I have to go to a dark blonde in order to get my hair lighten to mediwn/light brown?

I am going to do it myself since the last few times I have gotten to the stylist they have charged me lots of $$$$ and I was still not satisfied with the results, plus I just got lay-off and have no $$$ to spend in hair salons.

Note: The result that I am looking for is a mediun/light brown with multi-dimention(hightlights) in my hair.

Thank you
    esteveze Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by esteveze
    A little bit of history.
    My hair is naturally Dark brown L3. In july last year I had my hair lifted 3 levels, It turned out Orange. I went back to hairdresser and he gave me a level 5.0, and it turned my hair DARK brown with redish-coppery tint.

In December I change the color back to Dark brown (as close to my natural color level 3). the product I used was "Wella 2n Color charm, permanent".

Now my hair still has a reddish-coppery tint to it. The more i wash my hair the more the reddish shows up.

I want to get my hair to a medium brown, and some light brown highlights.

Now my questions are:
    1- can I lighten my hair to a medium-light brown??
    2- What about my roots, since its virgin hair: do I treat them differently?? how??
    3- Can i mex medium brown and light brown ??? or do I have to go to a dark blonde in order to get my hair lighten to mediwn/light brown??

I am going to do it myself since the last few times I have gotten to the stylist they have charged me lots of $$$$ and I was still not satisfied with the results, plus I just got lay-off and have no $$$ to spend in hair salons.

Note: The end result that I am looking for is a mediun/light brown with multi-dimention(hightlights) in my hair.

Thank you
    H E L P!!
    Sugestions... please
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 12, 2007, 03:55 PM
    If your current color is red, a one step coloring process may not make your hair light brown. Your best bet is to go to the a salon and have them to do a corrective color. If going to the salon isn't an option, then try using dark ash blonde color. This will neutralize the red tones in your hair.
    stylist101 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2009, 12:22 AM

I will try and be brief! Color doesn't lift color! Only bleach or modulate and after the color is removed you will end up w underlying pigments Wich for your hair would be red orange and possibly pink! You will then need2apply a different color2all of those different colors you end up w! These all must follow the laws of color and since your not a colorist this will be very difficult! I have done hair for 7yrs and I even sometimes have2consult w other stylist when it comes to cases like corrective color Wich is what you're dealing w! And yes! Virgin hair is way different2 color! I would hate4you2attempt this yourself and end up spending a whole day in salon along with hundereds of dollars to get it fixed! A possible alternative for you may be to consider a heavy highlite and toner! If enough foils are used you will end up w an overall lighter effect and that 2n should blend! Swear! I had 2n on mine and heavy foiled it and toned it w a level 8 and you can't even see the 2n!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Reddish brown hair [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I recently coloured over my highlighted hair with a permanent 'natural light brown'. As the color underneath had orange tones in it (which was the reason I went over it with brown), the colour I have now is brown with a lot of red and orange tones in it. My highlights are coming through on...

Fixing hair color on dark hair? [ 2 Answers ]

I have caramel and ash brown highlights on black hair and wanted to touch up the roots myself... unfortunately, when I used a box of medium ash brown hair dye, it made my roots look a little reddish brown (very slight on the reddish). I also covered too much so it looks like the top of my head is...

Highlighting Reddish/Brown hair. [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a product at a store like Walgreens or Target that I can buy to highlight my daughter's hair that will get rid of the red in her hair? The hairdressers keep saying it isn't red, but it is. So, I'd like to try a product at home. We've done highlights before, so I'd be willling to try...

Black hair tint [ 1 Answers ]

Have dyed black hair, original colour dark brown and have VERY resistant grey.Use Clairol professional black with 10 vol. peroxide. For years the colour has been running out of my hair,staining my clothes with black streaks, all this happening even after 4 weeks of not colouring. So, figuring the...

View more questions Search