Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zephirus Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 02:27 PM
    About the British Commonwealth realms
    Hey I have a question about the British Commonwealth realms. Besides all having the same queen, there is any benefit for the people of the realms, just by being from the realms? Also does the queen really has any power, makes any difference there? Thank you so much.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jun 1, 2012, 02:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zephirus View Post
    Hey I have a question about the British Commonwealth realms. Besides all having the same queen, there is any benefit for the people of the realms, just by being from the realms? Also does the queen really has any power, makes any difference there? Thank you so much.
    The Queen has no political power in her own country and no political power in any of the Commonwealth countries. Her only power is that of a status symbol but that probably equates to very little in terms of power.

England and all other countries of the Commonwealth are parliamentary democracies. Unlike Republican democracies parliamentary democracies tend not to rely on a over riding civil code.

Basically this can mean that Commonwealth countries tend to appeal to a tradition that has been derived from the mother country in law and constitutional decisions.

The benefits of being in the Commonwealth are largely to do with being part of a wider community and the benefits that may bring. Australia is part of the common weal.

So, no- the Queen has absolutely no political influence or power in Australia.

Tut
    zephirus Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 04:39 AM
    So there is a tradition in law some standarts for making politics.
    The people of the commonwealth have any advantage just because of being in the commonwealth? Anything like the EU benefits its citizens regardless the country?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jun 1, 2012, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zephirus View Post
    So there is a tradition in law some standarts for making politics.
    The people of the commonwealth have any advantage just because of being in the commonwealth? Anything like the EU benefits its citizens regardless the country?
    Hi Zephirus,

I take it you are asking if there a tradition (common law) that is responsible for the standard of politics in Australia. I think you could develop an argument for that. In Australia we rely heavily on common law and on this basis it is largely up to individual states to determine their own legislation.Standard in this instance doesn't necessarily mean any type of universal standard.

In think the EU is largely concerned with economic matters. As far as the Commonwealth countries are concerned economic matters are only one aspect. The Commonwealth is not one dimensional in this regard. The Common weal or the common good must necessarily involve other things such as culture, democracy, equality, fairness. Oh, and of course sport. The Commonwealth Games are coming soon.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How does one become a freelance courier in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania? [ 1 Answers ]

What is necessary to become a freelance courier?

Which is better? Realms of everquest or return to arms? [ 0 Answers ]

I was thinking about getting either champions of norrath: realms of everquest or return to arms to play with my sisters because they really enjoyed alon dar. I know the games are old but that's what the like to play. I want to know which of the two is a better game. Thanks for any help.

Opening Ceremony Music for the 1990 Commonwealth Games [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me what the opening (instrumental) ceremony music was for the 1990 Commonwealth Games in Auckland New Zealand

CBS Investigates Murtha Connection To Commonwealth Research Institute [ 2 Answers ]

CBS "Evening News" took an in-depth look at Rep. John Murtha's (D-PA) connections to the Commonwealth Research Institute, which has a non-profit charity label despite no one knowing what charity work it actually does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgioOdQiPjA&feature=haxa_popt00us13

View more questions Search