Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Memphis_novice Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2012, 07:53 PM
    Hair follicle test: only smoked twice in last 6 months.
    Hello all. I tried the green for the first time the end of December, then again in the end of March. Ironically I have my first hair follicle test soon. I'm african american, shoulder length hair. I've been using Toxins Wash and T-Gel. What are my chances of a negative reading? Thanks!
    Lost-in-Science Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 12:03 AM
    You probably will have remnants of THC (the main psychoactive chemical in cannabis) in your hair. Some of the THC in your bloodstream will be deposited on your hair follicles and 'nourish' the hair, becoming part of its structure, so washing will only remove a limited amount (as the hair itself flakes). Typically THC can be detected a week after smoking and can be detected up to 3 years later.
    Remember, this THC won't just vanish, its part of the hair, which keeps growing all the time until it falls out and then replaced. As for the folllicle itself (the skin surrounding the hair root in the skin) typically THC will last between 2 weeks and a few months.

However, another major factor affecting your test is the nature of the test itself. A standard laboratory test will only test for about 90days prior to the test date, but Law enfocement tests may test for you to 3 months, so be aware of that.

I would predict that you shouldn't have a problem unless it's a law enforcement test, as hair follicle tests are expensive and unless specifically undesired, a small amount of THC would be overlooked IF detected at all. But its hard to tell for sure sorry.

Would you like me to research more or answer any more questions? I hope my answer was helpful

May 31, 2012, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost-in-Science View Post
    you probably will have remnants of THC (the main psychoactive chemical in cannabis) in your hair. Some of the THC in your bloodstream will be deposited on your hair follicles and 'nourish' the hair, becoming part of its structure, so washing will only remove a limited amount (as the hair itself flakes). typically THC can be detected a week after smoking and can be detected up to 3 years later.
    Remember, this THC wont just vanish, its part of the hair, which keeps growing all the time until it falls out and then replaced. As for the folllicle itself (the skin surrounding the hair root in the skin) typically THC will last between 2 weeks and a few months.

However, another major factor affecting your test is the nature of the test itself. A standard labratory test will only test for about 90days prior to the test date, but Law enfocement tests may test for u to 3 months, so be aware of that.

I would predict that you shouldnt have a problem unless its a law enforcement test, as hair follicle tests are expensive and unless specifically undesired, a small amount of THC would be overlooked IF detected at all. But its hard to tell for sure sorry.

Would you like me to research more or answer any more questions? i hope my answer was helpful
    Yes by all means if u don't mind doing the extra work it would be greatly appreciated... and someone else out there may need to know.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2012, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis_novice View Post
    Hello all. I tried the green for the first time the end of December, then again in the end of March. Ironically I have my first hair follicle test soon. I'm african american, shoulder length hair. I've been using Toxins Wash and T-Gel. What are my chances of a negative reading? Thanks!
    How much did you smoke on each of the occasions noted?
    How often are you in the presence of others smoking?

Another important factor in hair drug testing is who is ordering and who is performing the test. The thoroughness and the extent of the test. Not all drug testing is the same and that is particularly true in hair testing for cannabis metabolites. In the commercial hair testing field it is all too common to short-cut the test and that will provide far different results from a properly confirmed test.

Relating to the cleansing agents used, they serve some benefit although I can't tell you if more effective than regular shampoo. These cleansing agents are beneficial to remove external contamination. While the laboratory should always use a chemical agent for this purpose, it is well known that the chemical washes are never 100% effective (usually 65-85%) even when properly performed. Different labs use different de-contamination procedures. By using the cleaners you have at least assisted in the de-contamination process.

Let me know the answers to the above and will look a little closer at your circumstance.

May 31, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    How much did you smoke on each of the occasions noted?
    How often are you in the presence of others smoking?

Another important factor in hair drug testing is who is ordering and who is performing the test. The thoroughness and the extent of the test. Not all drug testing is the same and that is particularly true in hair testing for cannabis metabolites. In the commercial hair testing field it is all too common to short-cut the test and that will provide far different results from a properly confirmed test.

Relating to the cleansing agents used, they serve some benefit although I can't tell you if more effective than regular shampoo. These cleansing agents are beneficial to remove external contamination. While the laboratory should always use a chemical agent for this purpose, it is well known that the chemical washes are never 100% effective (usually 65-85%) even when properly performed. Different labs use different de-contamination procedures. By using the cleaners you have at least assisted in the de-contamination process.

Let me know the answers to the above and will look a little closer at your circumstance.
    Being generous, I'm estimating .3 gram on the first occasion and about .6 on the second. The first time I had some decent stuff via pipe, no chronic, and the second time via bong I had .3 of decent and chased with .3 of some very ty mids. No I'm not around smokers. This is a phychemedics test for a gov't contractor. Thank u!

May 31, 2012, 07:21 AM
    **Very ty mids.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2012, 07:34 AM
    Now you have me a bit confused. Tests administered by government agencies and contractors are regulated by SAMHSA*, in your favor because the procedures are mandated by law. However, hair testing is not approved under these regulations and employers may not vary from the guidelines by ordering add-ons.

Ironically, I was just speaking with the Workplace office yesterday and there is no intent to accept hair testing in the near future.

Their reasoning, racial bias, can be found in Federal Register Document Number 04-7984
    Public Comments 8400110. >LINK

What gives you the idea that you are being hair tested?

*Substance Abuse and Mental Health Association, Health & Human Services

May 31, 2012, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Now you have me a bit confused. Tests administered by government agencies and contractors are regulated by SAMHSA*, in your favor because the procedures are mandated by law. However, hair testing is not approved under these regulations and employers may not vary from the guidelines by ordering add-ons.

Ironically, I was just speaking with the Workplace office yesterday and there is no intent to accept hair testing in the near future.

What gives you the idea that you are being hair tested?

*Substance Abuse and Mental Health Association, Health & Human Services
    I was explicitly told I have to submit to a phychemedics hair follicle test. Given the above, what does my situation look like?
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2012, 08:43 AM
    Let's just assume that there is a justification for the test. Here is the number for the federal Drug Free Workplace center. Suggest you call and verify the legality of the test and confirm the qualification of Psychemedics to administer same

1-800-967-5752

It's possible that the contracting government agency is state, as opposed to federal, and has separate authorization. It is just as likely that they haven't taken the time to digest the regulations. However, assuming legality:

Hair testing for marijuana (cannabis) is a very poor choice for the testing agency. Infrequent cannabis use, such as you describe, is seldom if ever detected. THC and particularly THC-COOH (the only metabolite that can be used in confirmation) simply don't incorporate into the hair matrix similar to other base drugs. As Huestis (2007) notes "...the weakest aspects of testing for cannabinoids in hair is the low sensitivity of drug detection" in this medium. (Sec 3.5, See also Musshoff, 2006)

That hair testing for cannabinoids is ineffective except in chronic users is well established and is a guiding principle for those of us in the treatment field. “Positive results from hair testing are generally expected only when a person has used a drug at least four to six times per month” (see Galanter & Kleber)

So given your stated usage it is very very unlikely that any COOH was incorporated into your hair let alone at detectable levels.

ADDED: An assistant just handed me a link to some information on hair testing and Psychemedics. This is an individual and not scientifically verifiable (as the links below) but seems to contain some useful information >LINK

Huestis 2007 Human Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetics.
    Musshoff 2006 Results of hair analyses for drugs of abuse and comparison with self-reports and urine tests
    Galanter & Kleber 2011 Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse, American Psychiatric Publishing, Wash, DC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I smoked once in the last month. Can I be positive with a hair-follicle drug test? [ 19 Answers ]

I smoked, well I don't know what I was doing, but I guess I had 4 pulls on some marijuina and kept in haling and blowing it back out... I really didn't no what I was doing... it was about a month and a half ago... I just took a hair follicle test will it be positive you think?

I smoked one hit of marijuana 67 days ago. Will I pass hair follicle test? [ 8 Answers ]

I smoked weed 67 days ago, took one hit from a pinch hitter. Before that it had been over 6 months since I smoked very infrequent. I have to take a hair follicle test in the next week. I am 6'3 with dark hair. Keep my hair fairly short 1 guard on my clippers. Have cut my hair many times 5 times...

Never smoked marijuana but tested positive on a hair follicle test how is that possib [ 1 Answers ]

Never smoked but live with people who do yet I tested positive on a hair follicle test and negative on a urine test how is that possible

Will being around pot being smoked show up on hair falicole test? [ 5 Answers ]

I was just recently around a friend smoking marijuana but I did not smoke will it show up in a hair drug test?

View more questions Search