Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sampat dange Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Dependent Tax exmption for H1 visa holder
    Hi,

I am planning to start working in USA on H1 visa from October 2007 and my wife will join me later in year 2008. Will I be able to claim for dependent tax exemption for year 2007 and 2008 though my wife joins me in end of year 2008?

If my wife also gets H1 visa and accompanies me in year 2007 but doesn't start working. Will I be able to claim for dependent tax exemption until she starts working.

Look forward to receive your views. Have a nice day!

Thanks,
    Sampat Dange
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 10:55 AM
    You will be able to file jointly with your wife whether she is with you or in your home country. Her physical location is irrelevant.

Now, by filing this way, you must declare ALL of your 2007 income and make it subject to U.S. income taxes. Something to consider!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

Tax Deduction for J-1 Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in NY as a trainee (J-1visa). This year I had relevant medical expences (dentist), not paid by the health insurance. Can I deduct them? Thank you

Federal Tax status for HI-B Visa Holder [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I graduated in May 2005 and have been holding a H1-B visa since December 2005. I am wondering what is my tax status for this year ? Which form should I fIll out? Is it possible for me to file my taxes as if I was a permanent resident even though I do not hold a green card (In the past I was...

Income Tax for H1B Holder and H4 Dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I came to US on 31st Aug 2006 on H1B Visa. After that I got my SSN. My Dependent Wife landed in US on 7th Oct 2006 on H4 Visa. Yet I have not applied for her ITIN Number and she is not eligible for SSN. For the year 2006, 1) How should I file my IT Returns, as a Single or Married...

Tax for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I am in H1b Visa, my wife came here in H4 visa in Nov 15, 2006. Can I fill 1040 for 2006 jointly with my wife so that we can receive 13000 standard deduction? She needs a ITIN? She can not have a SSN. Thanks.

View more questions Search