Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steph4066 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Mbna creditor debt
    Hi, my husband had a credit card through MBNA about 5 years ago, he was in an accident and used the card to pay his bill at the time. Then he let the card go and did not make payments, mostly because we have 3 kids and the economy in Michigan was bad so was hard to make ends meet! Anyway, the card was sold to a lawyer... I believe CAVC... but the attorney is in Michigan... SIMS. At the time, when they started to try to collect the Debt... we lived in Michigan, but have moved to Florida sense then. We have spoken to the Lawyers a few time, trying to somehow work out payment. In the mean time, if we can't at this time pay the money, and no agrangements have been made, they have taken us to court... with out us there and where able to get our state tax return (MI), which is no big deal, and put a lien on our property... if we had some, we don't, we sold our home in Michigan before this, and we rent here in Florida. My Question is what else can they go for? Can they garnish my husbands wages? Bank accounts? Or anything? My husband is getting money in a few months from his annuity and plan to pay it off with that? But in the mean time what rights do they have to take from us? We owe around $5000 , I'm just worried they may go after his wages, and we are just making ends meet right now, not sure if we could handle the wage garnishment or worse. And our bank accounts, I have one and we also have a joint account? Any help please? Thanks so much for your time!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Hello steph:

Florida Statutes §222.11 offers a significant exemption to wage garnishment known as the "head of family" exemption. So, his income is safe.

However, once it's in the bank, they'll get it. Bank accounts are vulnerable. ANY account you have is vulnerable. If they find the annuity first, they might get that.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Judgements - MBNA & Citi [ 3 Answers ]

I have received 3 notices on 3 different credit card accounts that I cannot pay. I have received a notice on all 3 accounts from attorney firms that collect debt. All of these accounts are in my name. None of these accounts are in my wife's name. I live in the State of California. Can these...

The creditor [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to all that answered my question. Here is part two. I was unlocking my home door to go in and a man called my name and as I turned, he handed me this paper informing me that I have been sued by capitol one bank. I have a certain amount of time to respond either me or my lawyer of which...

What are my rights as a creditor [ 1 Answers ]

My husband went bankrupt after our divorce. I had an order for him owing me 35k, he hadn't paid for over a year, then he went bankrupt. We had not worked out a payment plan or anything, I don't think he should have been able to go bankrupt, can I fight this 2 years later? Also, he has a trustee...

Judgment by creditor [ 5 Answers ]

We have just sold our home. I have a judgment from Citibank (credit card), no lien on property, but title company has said this judgment must be cleared before we can close. Is this correct, even though it was not connected to our property?

View more questions Search