Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daddysgirl2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
    Engineering ask question
    How do I calculate the diameter and wall thickness of a round steel tube that needs to support 515lbs across 32ft with a max of 0.03" deflection per inch?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 30, 2012, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daddysgirl2 View Post
    How do I calculate the diameter and wall thickness of a round steel tube that needs to support 515lbs across 32ft with a max of 0.03" deflection per inch?
    First we need to compute the absolute deflection at the center of the beam.

Let's assume the beam sags in the shape of a circular chord (i.e. an arc). The maximum slope will be at the outer edges (i.e. at the 0' and 32' marks), where we want it to be no greater than 0.03, and the greatest deflection will occur in the center (at the 16' mark). For very small slopes like this, we can use a small-angle approximation which says that the angle (in radians) subtended by the half the circular chord (from the center point to one edge) is approximately equal to that slope of 0.03. Meanwhile, we also know by definition that the subtended angle (in radians) is equal to the half the length of the chord divided by the radius of curvature. We can use these two ways of computing the angle to write an equation so we can solve for the radius of curvature:

inches.

Now that we know the radius of curvature and the subtended angle, we can compute the deflection in the center as the difference between the radius and the radius times the cosine of the angle.

inches. [Again, remember that the angle is in radians, not degrees. If you want to do the calculation in degrees, convert 0.03 radians 1.72 degrees].

Now that you know the deflection in the center of the beam is about 2.88 inches, you can find a suitable beam using an online calculator such as this one:

Beam Deflection Calculators - Solid Rectangular Beams, Hollow Rectangular Beams, Solid Round Beams

For example, I see that an 8" diameter steel tube with 0.75" wall thickness just barely does the trick.

I hope that helps! I didn't spend much time explaining the math up above, so if you want more detail just ask.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 30, 2012, 08:20 AM
    Actually, now that I went through all that, there's a much, much simpler way. For a circular arc, if you were to draw a line from the center at 16' (point of maximum deflection) to the edge at 0' (point of maximum slope), the slope of the straight line will be exactly half the slope of the arc at the steepest point. Therefore, the slope of the straight line must be 0.015 or less.

That's a much easier way to compute it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mechanical Engineering versus Aeronautical Engineering [ 3 Answers ]

I am asking about the relationship between Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering. Is it possible to pursue Aeronautical Engineering postgraduate degree after completing Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree? How is the demand for Aeronautical Engineering graduates?

Vectors Question Intermediate level? (Engineering Maths) Help please! [ 0 Answers ]

A) The co-ordinates of points are given by x = \frac{u + v}{\sqrt{2}}, y = \frac{u - v}{\sqrt{2}}, z = uv i) Explain why the totality of points given by the equation form a surface. ii)Find the unit normal to the surface at any point (u,v). B) If the temperature at any point with...

Question chemical engineering ask [ 0 Answers ]

There is flow of gases mixture in a pipe .there is certain 65 deg temp and 150 kpa pressure in line . And content are nitrogen ,oxygen and water then how we can calculate water content in stream any correlation is there?

View more questions Search