Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

May 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Crockpot question...
    Has anyone tried to crockpot meat (in this case chicken ) that is not completely dethawed? I'm thinking it should be fine, I would just add a bit less liquid than I normally would... any issues anyone has had doing this?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aliseaodo View Post
    Has anyone tried to crockpot meat (in this case chicken ) that is not completely dethawed? I'm thinking it should be fine, I would just add a bit less liquid than I normally would...any issues anyone has had doing this?
    I would advise against it... because you will have no idea when the meat is thawed and the cooking would actually start... unless you are willing to take a chance with a case of salmonella.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
    If it's a long-ish cooking time (> 4 hours approx) then it shouldn't a problem. You may run into the issues of having the outside overcooked while the inside is just right.
    Movie Expert

May 29, 2012, 10:28 AM
    Eh - salmonella is not on the menu tonight... I had a crockpot chicken marsala recipe I was going to try, but I think I'll wait for the chick to dethaw and make it the traditional way.. thanks for the info you two...
    Uber Member

May 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
    I'm in the better safe than sorry camp when it comes to chicken and pork... and I'm a guy that likes my steaks medium rare...
    funnyfreefarm Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 06:53 AM
    I throw in frozen chicken breasts all the time into the crock-pot! I love it! Before leaving for work I'll put in a couple with some sauce and/or water, or whatever my recipe calls for, put it on low and by dinner time everything is always done and cooked perfectly!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 21, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Thawing in the crock pot really doesn't matter as long as it's done when you eat it. Of course you can overcook anything in a crock pot too, so you need a sense of timing.
    You shouldn't have to worry about salmonella because the crockpot can't be on too low a temp.
    Lenno213 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Well my dad has and it should be fine :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Has anyone tried to crockpot meat (in this case chicken ) that is not completely dethawed? I'm thinking it should be fine, I would just add a bit less liquid than I normally would...any issues anyone has had doing this?

This gave me pause - it's thawed, not de-thawed.

At any rate my crockpot cookbook says NOT to cook frozen meat (or foods which are not completely thawed).
    Movie Expert

Sep 17, 2012, 06:57 PM
    Ha! Judyk I guess I've been saying it wrong forever! It gave me pause when I read your post, I was like, what? And then I was like, oh, yeah... thawed, not 'dethawed', guess that doesn't really make sense!
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 04:26 AM
    Ha! Judyk I guess I've been saying it wrong forever! It gave me pause when I read your post, I was like, what?? And then I was like, oh, yeah...thawed, not 'dethawed', guess that doesn't really make sense!

But I loved it - dethawed would be frozen and the new "buzz" word around here.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Ha! Judyk I guess I've been saying it wrong forever! It gave me pause when I read your post, I was like, what?? And then I was like, oh, yeah...thawed, not 'dethawed', guess that doesn't really make sense!
    You can dethaw chicken if you sit it outside on a cold day in winter... (when its below freezing)
    Movie Expert

Sep 18, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Yes... thank you Smoothy, if my freezer ever goes out in the winter, I'll know what to do... ;)
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 08:04 AM
    Not really pertinent to this thread. But during a very bad ice storm back in the 70's that took out power for a couple weeks before it was restored when I was in high school. Everyone in the Neighborhood saved their frozen food putting it outside in the shade, and the fridge by bringing it inside and outside to keep it cold but keeping it from freezing outside...
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Not really pertinent to this thread. But during a very bad ice storm back in the 70's that took out power for a couple weeks before it was restored when I was in highschool. Everyone in the Neighborhood saved their frozen food putting it outside in the shade, and the fridge by bringing it inside and outside to keep it cold but keeping it from freezing outside.....

Boy, I'm glad I wasn't born before or during the '70's. I've heard about things like this, though.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Boy, I'm glad I wasn't born before or during the '70's. I've heard about things like this, though.
    Think it was the winter of 75-76... tens of Millions were out of power for weeks in the middle of winter... so many power lines were taken down by the ice storm. Was all we could do to keep the houses warm enough the pipes didn't freeze.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Management Accounts Question: Variance Question? [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'm having. The Q is as follows; McCauleys Ltd uses a standard costing system and has produced the following production information for the month of June 2010. Standard Actual Sales (units) 10,000 10,000 Sales price per unit £30 £32...

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

I got a crockpot! [ 15 Answers ]

I finally got a crock pot today. I have a few recipes that I've found to try out but I was hoping some of you might be willing to share some of your favorite crock pot recipes :)

Crockpot Pheasant Recipe! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking whole pheasants using a crockpot, if so please contact me. Thank you, Philly

View more questions Search