Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
    Strike out??
    Hello:

What happens when there's two strikes on a batter, and he swings and misses the next pitch, but the ball hits him? Is he out, or does he take his base cause he was hit with a pitch?

excon
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2012, 02:44 PM
    I researched a lot of sites and this is the only official looking one I could find:Umpires: Feature | MLB.com: Official info

90% of the lesser official looking opinions and the way I interpret the one linked above said:
    "dead ball strike"

Some said it depended on whether the ump deemed the pitch to be in the strike zone, but the mlb site linked does not imply anything about that.

Very thought provoking question.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 29, 2012, 02:47 PM
    Being a Brit I don't know the vagaries on baseball, but I was under the impression that if a ball were to strike the batter then it's a foul ball and treated as such, the fact he swung is immaterial as with other foul balls.
    So in this case he should be allowed to take his base.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
    A foul ball is a batted ball that lands outside the limits of the baselines.

Regarding batter swings and is hit by pitch, this is an excerpt from Major League Rulebook, 2011 Edition.
    I have placed (**** before and after the rule--6.05f that I believe applies):

BEGIN quote:
    “ 6.05 A batter is out when—
    (a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder;
    Rule 6.05(a) Comment: A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch,
    And if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball
    Nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over
    The playing surface (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout
    Or in any other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls
    Into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as
    Described in Rule 7.04(c) Comment.
    (b) A third strike is legally caught by the catcher;
    Rule 6.05(b) Comment: “Legally caught” means in the catcher's glove before the ball touches the
    Ground. It is not legal if the ball lodges in his clothing or paraphernalia; or if it touches the umpire and is
    Caught by the catcher on the rebound.
    If a foul tip first strikes the catcher's glove and then goes on through and is caught by both hands
    Against his body or protector, before the ball touches the ground, it is a strike, and if third strike, batter is
    Out. If smothered against his body or protector, it is a catch provided the ball struck the catcher's glove
    Or hand first.
    (c) A third strike is not caught by the catcher when first base is occupied before two are
    Out;
    (d) He bunts foul on third strike;
    (e) An Infield Fly is declared;

********(f) He attempts to hit a third strike and the ball touches him;**************

(g) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder. If the batter is in a legal position
    In the batter's box, see Rule 6.03, and, in the umpire's judgment, there was no
    Intention to interfere with the course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter
    Or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball;
    (h) After hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory.
    The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter-runner drops his bat and
    The ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire's judgment, there was
    No intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play. If
    The batter is in a legal position in the batter's box, see Rule 6.03, and, in the
    Umpire's judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, a
    Batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball; “ End quote

That's the closest I can get.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 29, 2012, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    That's the closest I can get.
    Hello smear:

I think you nailed it. Thanks.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three strike law [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Texas, and someone I know is in jail with no bond... and has three convictions of felony theft. All they are telling her is her next court date is 11.04.09. Is it bad that she don't have a bond? All I know is the judge told her it was her third felony theft conviction. So some of her...

Three Strike Law [ 7 Answers ]

I know someone that's in jail at the moment she was arrested at her last court date for felony theft. It's her 3rd offense for the same crime, and she has no bond. Does this mean she will most like go under the three strike law?

Three strike law [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a law for mistremeanor charges to become three strikes even if u have not been convicted just arressted on a charge

Food Strike [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys! My Lia is 7 months and 2 weeks old and is still not very interested in baby food. Around 5 months we were eating about 1/2 small jar to 1 whole small jar a day and when she hit 6 months she went on a food strike. Now she will eat a couple tablespoons of veggies before bedtime. I'm...

View more questions Search