Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evsdropr Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Should I update customers' website to newer standards?
    Some of my older customers websites are using HTML4 or XHTML. Should I update customers' website to newer standards? Obviously I don't need to do this, but I have an online portfolio and I'm thinking it would look better on my portfolio if all of my customers' websites are developed with HTML5.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Evsdropr View Post
    Some of my older customers websites are using HTML4 or XHTML. Should I update customers' website to newer standards? Obviously I don't need to do this, but I have an online portfolio and I'm thinking it would look better on my portfolio if all of my customers' websites are developed with HTML5.

Thanks!
    What is the contract or agreement you have with them. Do you need their permission to do the upgrades ? How would it effect their sites and their use of the sites
    Evsdropr Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    What is the contract or agreement you have with them. Do you need their permission to do the upgrades ? How would it effect their sites and their use of the sites
    It won't affect any of their websites. I would simply change some coding here and there, modify some divs into headers and sections, mostly to make the website load faster, and to show off the new standards on my clients' websites. There's no contract involved, therefore there's nobody saying I need permission to upgrade their websites, it's just me.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
    I'd contact these clients and offer to update their sites as a free service.
    That way you look proactive and actually care about your work once deployed.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

May 29, 2012, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    I'd contact these clients and offer to update their sites as a free service.
    That way you look proactive and actually care about your work once deployed.
    In this case on a voluntary basis with their permission updating would be acceptable.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 4, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Hi,
    Would suggest that you first learn which features are implemented, to what extent and some of the work-arounds necessary by some of them. Also, consider if those customers target mobile devices as those often render better pages with HTML5.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I direct customers to my website to generate sales? [ 2 Answers ]

We want to generate more sales on our websites and are wondering what are some effective ways to do this?

Website code update delay Netscape Windows XP [ 1 Answers ]

I maintain my own website using simple html code. When I make a change In the code the update goes in to operation immediately on my neighbors Computer but takes from 30 seconds to two days to update mine. I have Maintained this site for several years but this started 4 to 6 months ago and...

My daughter and I, unintended separation, my life hits newer and newer lows [ 5 Answers ]

A little long but a true story; all must be taken into account to give the proper advices, not opinions. I am 30 and have a 12 year old girl whom I haven't talked to for 5.5 years, we haven't seen each other for about nine. I come from a broken abusive home of self-righteous sociopaths...

I can't access Windows update website. [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to enter the Windows Update webpage I get a message like, We appreciate your visit but this is only for windows users, you can visit the mac site at microsoft.com/mac Well, I am a windows user, what is wrong? Thanks in Advance! :)

View more questions Search