Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mackamoyle11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
    What way does tension in a bridge go
    I want to know because I am doing a science project and I need to find out soon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 28, 2012, 07:46 AM
    What sort of bridge ?
    Mackamoyle11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    What sort of bridge ?
    The arch bridge
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 28, 2012, 07:57 AM
    Go0od place to start: Arch bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    soccerlover9121 Posts: 47, Reputation: 5

May 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
    Tension in an arch bridge is pulling out on each pier. So if you're talking about the center arch then the tension would be pulling away from either side of the keystone. On a truss bridge, again, it's on the two piers. On a beam bridge it's just above the piers pulling away from the center of the piers. And on cable-stayed and suspension bridges the tension is on the cables.
    I would also check Google so you can get a visual
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
    I think the terms are getting a bit confused here. In an arch bridge there is no tension at all - only compression. That's why you can make an arch bridge out of bricks - which are great at withstanding compression, but can't take tension at all. In an arch bridge the weight of the bridge and of any live load it is carrying (people, cars, etc) is carried down through the two piers and into the ground as a compressive force.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bridge Bid [ 0 Answers ]

1- Is an opening short club a forcing bid? 2- Same question for opening 1NT bid.

She was for the bridge before she was against it. [ 21 Answers ]

Well, Well, Well, Not Hillary didn't think the bridge to nowhere was such a bad Idea in 2006. Palin backed 'bridge to nowhere' in 2006 - USATODAY.com

Bridge course for ms [ 1 Answers ]

Well I herd that if you are having 15 years of education that you have to take bridge course to be equivalent to 16 years of education in usa,is it true?? pl reply me soon.:rolleyes:

The Bridge [ 18 Answers ]

Hello: So, you want to talk about the bridge... We've been ripped off, People! Money that should have gone into infrastructure went instead into corporate coffers. Relax wingers, I'm not going to blame Bush... Ok, never mind, YES I AM. He gets the blame because he's the one running...

View more questions Search