Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frosty1957 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 04:15 AM
    How to ground an outlet with no ground wire
    I was wondering since both the ground and neutral are connected at the box into the same ground bar can you use a jumper conecting the grount to the neutral in the outlet box? Will this give you a grounded outlet?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 05:44 AM
    No, using the neutral as a ground at a device such as a receptacle is not allowed, ever. The only method to ground a receptacle properly is to run a new cable with a ground wire.
    Frosty1957 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
    Ground wire
    But if both neautral and ground are connected to the same ground bar in the pannel box why can't they be connected in the outlet box ? What can happen? Where the outlet is located in my house I would have to take the wall down to run a new wire
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Frosty...
    First, making any connection of an equipment ground conductor and a Neutral conductor
    Anywhere other than at the first overcurrent protection device is not permitted by any electrical code...
    The equipment ground conductor is for safety and not for conducting normal current.
    There are unusual conditions, sometimes hazardous, created when Neutrals and Grounds are connected incorrectly... circulating currents or a hum and static...

Please try to connect these conductors correctly... if you have an issue describe it and
    Maybe there is a way to do it correctly.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
    I see this is a reply to your other thread. You should have just posted an answer (reply) in that thread.

Like you were told, the fact that they are both on the same bar make NO difference. Yours is a common and highly misunderstood, yet very incorrect thinking.

It's what the wires do once they leave the panel that matters.

The neutral carries current, the ground does not. By connecting the neutral to ground outside the main panel it exposes bare and exposed metal parts to potentially dangerous currents. THIS is why there is a separate ground and neutral at each device. The neutral carries the circuit current, the ground is a safety backup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Splitting ground wire from an outlet wall [ 1 Answers ]

Can you split a ground wire from an outlet wall and use it as grounding for making a new outlet with hot and neutral wires from a different source? (like using the hot and neutral wires from the celing lights in the whole house, spliting them to make new outlet). There is one hot & neutral line...

Can I use a ground wire for a ground and live black or hot wire at the same time? [ 8 Answers ]

I only have 3 wires from my ceiling to connect to my fan/light, the black, white and bare ground. No problems setting up in this room to only one switch but I would like to have the duel fan/light switch in like in my other rooms without having to pull a wire from the ceiling down to the switch,...

250v outlet ground wire [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a house built in 1948. When I attempted to install my dryer, I realized the outlet was 3 prong 250v. A helpful post said that I could convert this outlet to 3 prong 240v. I have looked a little closer in the outlet and noticed there are two hots (red and black...

Connecting ground to 220v 3-wire outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to connect my bandsaw to an old-style 3-wire 220v dryer outlet (2 hot wires, 1 neutral). My bandsaw has no neutral wire. Do I connect the ground from the machine to the neutral socket?

View more questions Search