Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Naturalwoman01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2012, 09:47 PM
    Can a felon on supervised release live with an ex-felon?
    My fiancé is getting supervised release. His p.o. Came by our house and said to approve the residence. She said he can't associate with felons and She wants a background check on me. I have a felony from 15 yrs. Ago. For possession of a controlled substance. Will they prohibit us from living together? I am afraid to do the background check. Do I have to consent to that?
    dericdomino Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

May 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
    If he is being paroled from a state prison then it is up to the state in which you reside, and unfortunately the state and federal govt. consider you once a felon always a felon - at least for the purposes of records.
    I don't think it's fair and I wish you goodluck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 03:53 AM
    The answer is that if he cannot live or associate with felons without violating he cannot live or associate with you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2012, 04:47 AM
    He can not live with you if the PO says no. You do not have to do the background check, they will just tell him he can't live there if you don't allow it.

If he lives there without the PO permission, they will just put him back in jail.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 05:10 AM
    Hello w:

If he were your husband he could live with you.

excon
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello w:

If he were your husband he could live with you.

excon

I don't know the answer to this and I can't find it - could a felon, engaged to a felon, marry without the permission of the PO? If they do marry then the felons can live together?

Violates a person's civil rights not to be able to marry but I wonder what the law is -
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Violates a person's civil rights not to be able to marry but I wonder what the law is -
    Hello Judy:

Yup, it does.. But, a probationer cannot change his legal status WITHOUT permission from his PO. Is that legal?? Probably not. Do they care? Probably not.

excon
    Naturalwoman01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee;3130993]The answer is that if he cannot live or associate with felons without violating he cannot live or associate with you.[/QU

Are you sure because I talked to the main office in Miami and they said it is up to the p.o. Officer. And people do it all the time... We are engaged and have been together 8 yrs. . I'm just confused cause I am getting conflicting stories. Does anyone have personal experience with this?
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturalwoman01 View Post
    Are you sure?? Does anyone have personal experience with this?
    Hello again, w:

We ALL have experience with it.. That's why we responded like we did... In fact, they don't want you associating with felons SOOOO badly, that if they CATCH you, they'll send you back to prison...

Let me tell you MY story.. I was in a half-way-house, still under DOC rules, and not yet released on parole... I visited a felon friend of mine who was under surveillance by the cops. They had me pegged... However, they didn't do anything right away. Shortly thereafter, I was released from DOC and placed on parole... A couple days later, a cop shows up and wants me to snitch on my buddy... He tells me that I violated my parole by "associating" with him. If I didn't cooperate, he was going to send me back to finish out a long sentence...

Fortunately for me, that dumbass cop didn't know the rules, and I did.. WHEN he observed me, I wasn't on parole. Sure, I violated DOC rules, but I wasn't under their supervision any more, and since I was on parole, I didn't violate anything... So, he couldn't send me back... But, he surly did want to..

Now, it sounds like your bf's PO is going to stick to the rules... Frankly, I've NEVER heard of one who didn't... Why would they? It offers them NO upside, and lots of downsides. What if you robbed a bank together and somebody got shot? When her supervisors find out that she let this go by, she'll be OUT of a job... Plus, she already TOLD you what she's going to do. She's going to run a background check on you. Can you refuse to let her?? Maybe, but she can refuse to let him live there too.

If I was you, I'd marry him TOMORROW, BEFORE he needs HER permission.

excon
    Uber Member

May 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Judy:

Yup, it does.. But, a probationer cannot change his legal status WITHOUT permission from his PO. Is that legal??? Probably not. Do they care? Probably not.

excon

So it's a double edged sword - got "you" coming and going. I kind of figured.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a felon live with a teacher [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to date someone, however he has a drug convition (felony), and before we take it to a new level, I need to know if my career path will prevent me from ever living with him. So, Can a convicted felon live with a teacher.

Can a you.s felon live in germany [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an american, but have been convicted of 1st and 3rd class felonies (non violent) for selling excasy and pot. Done my time and am in germany trying to get a visa so I can stay here with my girlfreind. What you guys think?

Can one felon live with another [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all. MY Husband is a convicted felon.. my brother is coming out of prison soon and wants to stay with us.. from my understanding a felon on active parole could not dwell or stay with another felon,is this true?? North Carolina.

Can a felon live any where in state? [ 6 Answers ]

Can a felon live in any county of the state where he's been convicted?

View more questions Search