Fan outside for air conditioner won't work motor hot
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 27, 2012, 07:30 AM
    Does it spin free?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2012, 08:36 AM
    Replace it with the same HP motor and same rotation. The next motor you put in make sure to buy an oiler for it with the long plastic tube on it. Pull out the oil plugs and clear the holes with a piece of stiff wire like from a coat hanger and add a few drops of oil because many times these motors come from the factory with too little oil. Make sure to buy a new capacitor with the motor, too. Not getting one will void warranty. Also, you should buy a gallon of alkali coil cleaner (dark brown in color), a pump sprayer, and Haz-mat gloves. Wash off coils with water then spray them down with a 1 gallon coil cleaner/ 2 gal water solution and let it foam off dirt then wash off with water from inside the coils; repeat if necessary. After letting it dry and installing the motor you want to clean the inside coils. To do this you will have to slide out the blower fan and unplug the wires (make sure to mark where they go). You need a wet-vac and fix a way to keep water away from places you don't want it. You need to spray underside of coils from direction of air entering unit. The topside will look clean, often. You will also have to clean drain pan and line. On the blower you should pull the motor off and oil it and clean the blower wheel and housing. After your unit is clean it will run like new and save you a lot of electricity.
    mariebarba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2016, 06:52 PM
    Central AC sounds like it is straining because of the loud noise and the thermostat started clicking. Two opinions in household point to one it is the circuit breakers and second it is the Freon. What is your opinion.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2016, 09:22 PM
    If it's running louder than normal it is probably dirty coils, inside and out. Buy some alkaline coil cleaner, pull blower inside and remove outside covers. Then apply coil cleaner and use electric (1500 psi) pressure washer to clean. Remove blower wheel and clean and paint it, too. Oil motors and put it back together. Refrigerant has nothing to do with anything, except that it is not being used well due to dirt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Central air conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

We just got a quote for a new central A/C unit for our 2-story, 2200 sq. ft. house and I don't know what the term "3-ton" refers to in the quote for a new Trane A/C system. Can anyone tell me what it refers to? Thank you.

Central air conditioning [ 19 Answers ]

How do I determine the humidifier wire for the furnace control module hook up with two wires the same color?

No cool air from Central Air conditioning [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Rheem central air conditioner unit which suddenly stopped blowing cool air (AC). The outside unit (compressor) seems to be working since it kicks on. However, the air blowing inside the house is only room temperature air. I made sure the blades were turning in the right direction on the...

Central Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace my home air conditioning system. Nice down stairs but upstairs terrible. It's the original system, 19 years old. My house is 2500 sq feet, 2 story. What's the best system I should buy? How many seer? I don't want to overbuy but upstairs is unbearable!!

Central air conditioning [ 2 Answers ]

My central air unit does not "kick" on. The fan from the furnace and heat... does. There is a spark at the thermostat and the fuse box appears to be o.k. Any suggestions.

View more questions Search