Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TAO Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 12, 2004, 12:38 PM
    No Search for Internet Explorer!!
    I canīt access search sites (like www.google.com) from my internet explorer, and some other sites as well (like www.submarino.com.br). I reinstalled the browser already, but I'm still canīt access them. Please, I don't want to format my HD and reinstall XP, someone HELP ME!!
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2004, 01:31 PM
    Empty your temp internet files and try Giant AntiSpyware available at the link below.
    Jabba Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2004, 04:16 PM
    Definitely sounds like some sort of spyware to me. There are loads of good spyware removal products out there. Often you may need to use more than one to be rid of them. I tend to use mostly Spybot (free)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    And Webroot's Spysweeper (not free but you can use it for 30 days)

After you are clean you might want to try installing service pack 2 ( after backing up of course) or switch to Mozilla Firefox.
    TAO Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 19, 2004, 04:33 AM
    Thanks, but...
    I appreciate your attencion, but nothing works. At least I have 3 anti-spywares programs running. If you have more tips, please, I need them.

Thanks!
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 19, 2004, 05:01 AM
    Although I also believe that somehow your computer is infected (as suggested by others), in addition:
    - check if the 'cookies' are not disabled (IE-tools-internet options-privacy tab-advanced)
    - delete the "HOSTS" file (that is a filename without an extension) if present. Use the 'search' function from the start menu to locate it.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2004, 05:44 AM
    No Search Sites
    Hi,
    I agree with the other volunteers; sounds like you have a spyware/advertising/malware program(s) that got into your computer.
    You mentioned you have 3 spyware programs, but they haven't solved the problem.
    If you are willing to try, (didn't mention which ones you have).
    Here are links to good programs, free, if you don't have them:

If you have the following programs; run them as below.
    Spyware/Advertising ware removal

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

Both the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.
    It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first time.
    Also, if you notice the little green computer lights that show your dial-up connection to the internet staying on when they shouldn't be, located on the bottom right of the system tray, disconnect immediately and run AdAware. These lights staying on means that some URL is sending or receiving spyware/advertising ware to or from your computer, most of the time.

If the above doesn't work, then try editing the Registry. BE CAREFUL when deleting things from the Registry; your computer might not re-boot.
    When the computer boots up, the Registry tells it what programs to run; telling it to run the SpyWare/Advertising programs first, if in the computer.
    Here are steps for deleting things that startup when you boot up the computer:

Go to Start/Run. Type in "regedit" without quotes, then click on OK.
    At the top, Click on "Edit", then "Find".
    In the space Find What: type in what you want to find. (in this case, RUN).
    Then, put a check mark by "Match whole string only". This will keep the search from stopping at every word it finds, like the word "run", etc.
    Then click "Find Next". It will search the registry for the first entry you typed in.
    It will "open" a folder on the left hand side of the screen, showing what is in the folder on the right hand side. If you know that an entry on the right hand side is something you no longer have, or has just been added with a name you don't know, then right click on it, then left click "delete", tell it Yes or OK to remove it.
    Then, press F3 on the top of the keypad to continue the search.
    When finished, at the top, click on File, Exit.

Any StartUp programs, that start when the computer boots up will be listed in folders on the left hand side of the screen with names like:
    RUN, RUNSERVICES, RUNONCE, RUN-, etc.
    Click on the next folder down with the name RUN in it, to look at its startups on the right hand side.

If the spyware/advertising program has re-set your home page; you will have to type in the home page you want.; click on Apply, and OK.

If you decide to edit the Registry, again, please BE CAREFUL what you delete.
    Merry Christmas,
    fredg
    PS; In most cases, some or all of the above will take care of Spyware issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet Image Search (Very first question to the site) [ 6 Answers ]

Here is my very first question to this site. Let's see if it works... Imagine a logo (car, company, brand, etc... ) that is really easy for you to draw but don't have any informations about. Is it possible to find the origins and relations of this logo just using internet search engines? ...

Internet Explorer Search Bar [ 3 Answers ]

I had some spyware on my computer, so I used Ad-aware to quarantine these files... now my search bar in IE won't work. If I type something in to search, it says "this page cannot be displayed" How would I fix this?

Internet explorer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm having a problem with my internet explorer browser every time I'm on a web page and I click on the internet explorer icon to bring up a new internet explorer the first page keep changing ,I'm using windows xp this is the fist time I'm seeing this how can I fix it please .thanks in advance

Internet Explorer could not open search page [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can anybody tell me how to get rid of this dirty message "Internet Explorer could not open search page", I am really pissed of with this message, Can anyone help me please Thanks well in advance Andy

Internet Explorer 6. [ 6 Answers ]

I am using Windows XP and have developed a problem with my IE. When I first log on to internet my home page sometimes locks up or it will turn off IE and send me back to desktop. This does not happen all the time. Some time I can change web pages then without warning my IE will turn off and I am...

View more questions Search