Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christienbryan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Quiet Titles, Mechanic's liens, bad contractor.
    Background info - We built our house in the summer/fall of 2005. We moved in on November 4th of that year. Our builder, who we now know to be a con artist, went over by $40,000 but we only had a verbal contract with him and it was a cost-plus loan. His father in law was the lender for the mortgage company that we used and was just as crooked. We ended up closing out on our house in December of 2005 giving AMPLE time for all bills to come in.
    We got a letter in the mail on February 18th of 2006 saying that he had put $10,000 of liens on our property. We had definitely paid some of them and I believe some of them to be forged. No one ever did any work on our home once we moved in, so Feb 16th (the date of the liens) is past the 90 days limit anyhow.
    Now to my question... We want to refinance but we have liens looming over us. We were told about Quiet Titles but do not understand how they work or how to get one? Do we have to have a lawyer or is it something that we can file or petition here in the state of Georgia? Thank you in advanced.
    christienbryan
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Quiet title is not a thing, it is a court action in which you sue to clear the title. A court hearing would be held for you to prove the lien is not valid and the court will issue a order stating you have a clear title, thus the lien is not valid.

You need ( or well should have) an attorney to do this.

Of course you needed the attorney back when you started building, to give you a written contract.

The trouble with builders liens also if he did not pay the people where he bought the material for the house, they may have a valid lien if you did not get releases for the material at the time you were building the house also.

So you need to take all the written material you have to an attorney ASAP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quiet title action in foreclosure [ 14 Answers ]

HI. We have been trying to negotiate a short sale for a property in foreclosure. We have a signed contract from the wife. Her ex-husband, also on the title and loan, has not been in contact with her or even his own family for years. (Wife didn't even know they were divorced, but I found online...

Help! Does my quiet co-worker have a mental disorder? [ 22 Answers ]

Im starting to wonder if my co-worker was a victim of abuse or if he has a mental problem. His behaviors are really strange. My other co-worker and I are very concerned about him and we want to try and help him. He always wears the same clothes every week, never wears a belt with his loose pants,...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Keeping Quiet [ 9 Answers ]

I'm not a depressed person. I have some issues with my personal life and all I have are friends and family to talk to. For every argument I have with my boyfriend, I make a point to tell a friend, or maybe even two. Sometimes I feel that I tell people too much and they could judge me or my...

My dog is too quiet [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: we have a miniature dachshund that is 1 year old. He is usually very active but just recently he was said to have fleas. Now he is unusually quite and just not himself. He sleeps a lot and is not as active as usual(doesnt want to go for walks, play(etc.) We took him to the vet and took...

View more questions Search