Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Can I use paint over epoxy floor finish (cement floor)?
    Hi! A couple years ago, I coated my utility room floor with the two part epoxy floor finishing product for cement floors (which it is). It is a high traffic area, and some areas have begun to wear through and some coating has chipped away. Can I use a floor paint over this product? It is a small room, a quart would do the job, so I don't want to buy a whole gallon of the epoxy finish since it's so expensive. I'm really not sure I can use new epoxy over the old, either.
    Any suggestions?
    I'd also like to put the chips of color into the finish again, can I use them in regular floor paint?
    Jackie
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 31, 2012, 03:09 PM
    I'd use a remnant piece of glued down vinyl flooring.
    amazinggarage Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2012, 10:46 PM
    Paint will be less durable than the already failing epoxy.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2012, 05:12 AM
    If the epoxy is clean, free of wax and grease a floor paint will work.

The epoxy will have to be roughed up for paint to hold. If u only got a couple (2 or 3) years use out of epoxy, u will probably only get about 6 months out of paint.

Chuck
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 4, 2012, 06:20 AM
    Concrete is not easy to adhere to because of it's chalkiness, and moisture is always trying to get through from underground. Cut out a piece of plastic tarp about 18" square and tape it with duct tape to the floor where epoxy has worn away. If it has moisture under it in 48 hours, don't bother with any floor covering except possibly a fake wood laminate click flooring. Not even that if it's got a lot of moisture.
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Thanks for all the answers - unfortunately, I see what you're all saying is true. I did a 2 ft sq sample - roughed up the surface and tried the floor paint. Looks great - and scrapes off with my fingernail after a few days curing. So I know it isn't going to work. Worst part is, it looks worse with all the chipping epoxy than it did to start with! Well, I think I will clean each spot as the epoxy comes up and floor paint it. When enough of it is gone, I'll give it a good coat of floor paint and hope for the best! Thanks to everyone for your answers - you have confirmed my test patch results!
    ucme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2012, 08:39 PM
    We are remodeling a store that has an epoxy floor, doesn't look like there is any problems with the epoxy covring, it is abit dirty but otherwise fine. My question is: Can I paint over existing floor? IF so how and what do I do?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2012, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme View Post
    we are remodeling a store that has an epoxy floor, doesnt look like there is any problems with the epoxy covring, it is abit dirty but otherwise fine. My question is: Can I paint over existing floor? iF so how and what do i do?
    See above comments for your answer. Almost impossible to paint over epoxy.
    Sharondev Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2013, 11:54 PM
    I think paint is not a good option on epoxy flooring..
    Epoxy flooring looks great, then why do you want to make it ruin... Just forget that..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sweating vinyl floor over cement floor [ 1 Answers ]

I have vinyl tile over cement floor and it seems to be sweating in certain areas and damp. No puddles but moisure is there, it can be wiped up. Here in Maryland we've had temp. shift of 30 to 40 degrees and sudden humidity. Just wondering if the cement is still too cold with sudden heat/humidity....

Pour cement floor in an existing wood floor building? [ 0 Answers ]

I have an existing temporary type building (720 sq ft) with a wood floor. The wood floor keeps rotting out. I would like to pour a cement slab to replace all the floor joists and floor. It sits on top of gravel and appears to get very damp (no standing water). I really do not want to raise the...

How long before I can lay a laminate floor on a new cement floor? [ 5 Answers ]

Am building a new extension and I want to put a 12mm laminate floor on it. My question is how long will I need to wait to allow the cement floor to dry out and how will I know the cement floor is dry enough to proceed to lay the laminate on it Any advise would be appreciated!

Can a concrete floor that has been stained be painted over with epoxy paint? [ 2 Answers ]

I just stained a concrete floor with stain bought from The Home Depot. I am not happy with the way it looks so I want to know if I can just paint over it or do I have to strip the stain.

How to clean concrete floor for epoxy paint [ 3 Answers ]

OK, quick question... I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to clean my basement floor in order to apply an epoxy paint. The floor is about 40 yrs old and has never had any paint, sealer or anything else applied to it... we have remodeled out basement. Put up drywall making bedrooms, laundry...

View more questions Search