Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michael Staggs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 02:23 PM
    Rigid conduit above ground application
    Does the NEC require the use of pipe dope or Teflon tape on the threads of rigid conduit?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 26, 2012, 03:55 AM
    Very good question.

No, absolutely not, pipe dope or teflon will insulate the threads, and any metallic electrical conduit needs to be electrically continuous.

If a section of conduit is insulated, a short circuit can energize that section of conduit, and not allow a circuit breaker to trip, and anyone touching that energized conduit can be injured.

May 26, 2012, 04:29 AM
    Sir:

Thank you for your answer. This confirms my interpretation of the NEC as well. While I have been in this field for 25 plus years, as a Journeyman. I had a superintendent show up on the job site and demand that I take this run of conduit apart and put pipe dope on the threads.

Claiming that his knowledge and experience far surpassed my own. And if I valued my job I would make the Change without question. So Thank you again for confirming that I was correct in my understanding of this issue...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 26, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Direct your super to the statement found in the 2008 edition of the NEC:

300.6 (A) Ferrous Metal Equipment.
    "Where corrosion protection is necessary and the conduit is threaded in the field, the threads shall be coated with an approved electrically conductive, corrosion resistant compound."

And :
    300.10 Electrical Continuity of Metal Raceways and Enclosures.
    Metal raceways, cable armor, and other metal enclosures for conductors shall be metallically joined together into a continuous electrical conductor and shall be connected to all boxes, fittings, and cabinets so as to provide effective electrical continuity.

If the super insists on directing you to use pipe dope or teflon on any electrical raceway threads, you must bring this issue to a higher authority to get the permission to not perform this task.

May 26, 2012, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Direct your super to the statement found in the 2008 edition of the NEC:

300.6 (A) Ferrous Metal Equipment.Thank you for ur help. It is greatly appreciated.
    "Where corrosion protection is necessary and the conduit is threaded in the field, the threads shall be coated with an approved electrically conductive, corrosion resistant compound."

And :
    300.10 Electrical Continuity of Metal Raceways and Enclosures.
    Metal raceways, cable armor, and other metal enclosures for conductors shall be metallically joined together into a continuous electrical conductor and shall be connected to all boxes, fittings, and cabinets so as to provide effective electrical continuity.

If the super insists on directing you to use pipe dope or teflon on any electrical raceway threads, you must bring this issue to a higher authority to get the permission to not perform this task.
    Thank you for you help in this matter. It is greatly appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the distance between supports for 88mm rigid conduit? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the distance between supports for 88mm rigid conduit?

Bending rigid 1-1/4" electrical conduit [ 1 Answers ]

Where in the greater San Jose, CA can I get an 1-1/4" electrical rigid conduit bent to specifications?

Minimum rigid conduit size [ 2 Answers ]

What is the minimum conduit size for 3 -#2 copper wires to a service panel?

Above ground conduit [ 9 Answers ]

My neighbor is running an above ground electrical conduit with 110 directly on the property line. He has an inground pool that is 5 feet from this same property line and therefore 5' from the above ground conduit. I live in California and do not see this as safe. It seems to me that an above...

View more questions Search