Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    white-rose Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

May 24, 2012, 06:00 PM
    I keep starting jobs and quitting?
    I haven't been on here in a while but I always find myself coming back when I am having a real issue. The users on here care and thoroughly (while thoughtfully) respond to every question I've ever asked. I always feel like I've gotten real advice after coming here. So in this situation guys, I need career advice.

I just recently graduated University taking a two year course as a Paralegal. As many of you may know, the job is underpaid in the beginning and STRESSFUL. I started an internship at a firm (paid but really crappy pay) and I was set up for disaster in a position where a senior paralegal recently quit and I was left expected to take on her work. I had mounds of work and people around me didn't want to help me. I was communicating and nobody was listening to the fact that I was straight out of school and needed to be trained better and was overwhelmed. I couldn't catch up on the work and my lawyer was getting frustrated at me. I came home crying almost every night from the amount of stress, financial stress from low pay, and my regret for taking this course and wasting 2 years of my life. I quit the job in a bad way. I came into work and quit on the spot telling my employer I was fed up and walked out. I've never done anything so irresponsible in my life, but the stress brought me to my breaking point.

I recently again started at another firm and I feel okay, but anxious that I am going to screw up again and already want to quit from that fear.

What should I do? Should I go back to school for something else? I am considering business, or should I keep trying at the Paralegal thing? I have spent so much time in school and have worked so hard to keep my GPA high. Maybe this career isn't for me? Any suggestions. Thanks so much.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Give this new job a try. I know it's scary, and I know that you've been through hell and back, and you're afraid to be stuck there again.

Try to keep in mind that this is a new employer, and the last one didn't do a thing to help you succeed. Put your best foot forward, and see where it leads. Leave the past where it belongs. That job was an accident waiting to happen, that doesn't mean that this one will be the same. Been there, and lived to tell about it.

Give it a chance. If you still feel that this wasn't the right career move in 6 months, then look at going back to school. But you owe it to yourself to at least give it a try after 2 years of school, right?

When you go to work tomorrow, tell yourself "this is a new day, a new job, and I will not look to the past. I will do my best, ask questions, and work hard. I will give this a chance".

Sounds corny, but it works.

Good luck. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Looking at it, all jobs at times will have trouble, older employees will not often be helpful and most entry jobs will be considered lower paying and you feel you are doing all the work.

Coding in the medical field, has very high turn over anywhere I have ever worked, and so on.

It is just a matter of just taking it and making the best of it, till you have been there for a year or so and start to fit in.
    kimlo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
    Well I went through a phase like that. You got to find your calling or people you like working with to be comfortable.
    The stress can be found in any job industry you get so it's something you need to deal with on a personal level. You don't want to bottle up stress or become stressed. Basically, deadline oriented industries, - legal, real estate, investments stock brokerage have that so you may do better in more relaxed industries: art, design, retail but again a deadline will exist. So, you need to handle stress better is what I think. If you cannot meet their unrealistic timeframes then ask for help or just do what you can, If you must work overtime make sure you are getting paid to do so. 1 or 2 hours overtime without pay though is not uncommon. It shows your dedication and organizational ability. A great attribute.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quitting the pill [ 0 Answers ]

I was on the pill for over 3 years. I quit it in September. After 3 months I got my period, which lasted just 2 days and was very light. On the 9th day of my menstrual cycle I started feeling tingling sensations and stingy feeling in my ovaries and generally lower abdominal. In addition I was...

Will quitting help? [ 1 Answers ]

I smoke weed everyday an adequate amount everyday with my husband. And I smoke cigarettes so does he, I want to become more active and start to train my brain I don't need these things to be myself I need new and different ideas to help the quitting of both substances please help

I am starting business to quit my jobs in army it is right time or not [ 2 Answers ]

Hi this is chandan mishra,its nice to c your site about knowing future so could you please guide and help me to know my future,I was in army and doing job myself good but its hard to continue there anymore.now I quit my job and start business its right time to quit my job or not and starting...

Adult kids keep quitting jobs and living off me [ 15 Answers ]

I have two sons, they are both in their early twenties. They start jobs and they work for a little while then they quit. I am 45 years old and they have lived with me pretty much the whole time-but I really want them to be on their own-and I especially want them to keep working. THey live with...

View more questions Search