Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    healthfreak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Coffee and tea
    I'm trying to become healthy

I'm eating a healthy balanced diet
    And I have also joined a gym
    I've cut down an alcohol and I'm trying to flush toxins out by drinking a lot of water

Fi have 2 questions

1. is tea and coffee really bad for you? Is it best to cut it out completely or just cut down? I usually drink around 4 cups a day

2. I've found that since I'm eating lots of fruit and water I need to toilet all the time for both types of waste! (wont go into more details) is this normal? I read online that water is good to flush out toxin and the toilet issue will become less and less, apparently takes around 2 weeks? Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks girls and guys!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Lots and lots of fruit have fibre. Yes it is normal for things to be coming out more when eating healthier and it is also true that it will settle down.

Tea, all depends on what type of tea your drinking. Green tea is healthiest choice.

Coffee is a stimulant which I would say it is best without it all, but to go from 4 cups a day to nothing is not good either. Slowly cut down.

Water flushes out toxins for sure. I would say it takes a different amount of time for each individual. Each person adjusts to a new diet differently.

Your welcome.

Joe
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by healthfreak
    im trying to become healthy

im eating a healthy balanced diet
    and i have also joined a gym
    ive cut down an alcohol and im trying to flush toxins out by drinking a lot of water

fi have 2 questions

1. is tea and coffee really bad for you? is it best to cut it out completely or just cut down? i usually drink around 4 cups a day

2. ive found that since im eating lots of fruit and water i need to toilet all the time for both types of waste!! (wont go into more details) is this normal? i read online that water is good to flush out toxin and the toilet issue will become less and less, apparently takes around 2 weeks? does anyone know if this is correct?

thanks girls and guys!
    Coffee and tea basically is not bad for you, it's the amount of sugar or milk, cream that add calories. With the exception of the caffine levels which after about 2 cups of coffee, tea caffine levels get higher. Green tea and wu long teas is a great choice for tea, they have a lot of pluses. As far as the side effects your experiencing from lots of water and fruit, their doing their job and you right it'll all get back to normal in a few weeks. It sounds like your doing everything right, be patient your body is readjusting!:cool:
    willywonka22002 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Apr 1, 2007, 02:28 PM
    I would say coffee is bad for you generally because it's a drug at the end of the day it has adictive properties.. there was a bbc documentary on it. Tea is supposed to be good for you because of antioxidents but everything in moderation.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Coffee has been my bane but I am slowly getting the grip on it. I used to drink two pots of coffee a day and am down to two cups of coffee in the morning and none after 9 a.m. The goal this month is to eliminate one cup and the goal for May is to eliminate coffee all together. I agree with lovelesspa on the green tea - there are even varieties of green tea now, such as one with mandarin orange.

You are doing a great job so far! Continued success to you!
    Dizzellz112 Posts: 154, Reputation: 8

Apr 29, 2010, 02:16 PM

Hey does tea darken skin
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 08:44 AM

Coffee has an unfairly bad reputation. For most Americans, it's their number one source of antioxidants (Yes, blueberries have more, but how often do you actually eat blueberries?). It also reduced the risk of gallstones and type 2 diabetes, and can increase your exercise intensity and duration.

For a small number of people, it may increase blood pressure, but for most people 2-4 cups a day are perfectly acceptable.
    Dizzellz112 Posts: 154, Reputation: 8

Apr 30, 2010, 08:45 AM

Hey does coffee aggravate vitiligo?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzellz112 View Post
    hey does coffee aggravate vitiligo?
    It can affect blood pressure in some people, so it would be wise to cut it out and see if that helps.
    cazort Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2010, 08:34 AM
    Comment on Jesushelper76's post
    From my research, I have not found evidence that green tea is healthier. All tea is likely pretty healthy, but like anything, it's best to drink in moderation. Many herbal teas are also healthy.

Dec 13, 2010, 08:40 AM
    It's great that you've decided to get in shape and take more care of your body!

To answer your first question, coffee and tea are not necessarily bad for you. However, both contain caffeine, and excessive caffeine intake can have a number of negative impacts on health. Also, coffee and some stronger teas can be harsh on some people's stomach. Tea contains less caffeine than coffee. It's not true that green or white tea is healthier or contains less caffeine than black tea, however. This is explained in more depth on this page about the caffeine content of tea. I also have not found any evidence that green tea is healthier; all tea seems relatively healthy. Again, this is explained more on this page about the health benefits of tea. If you're concerned about caffeine, brew your tea weakly, or shop around to find a milder tea.

To answer your second question, if you drink more water, you'll need to use the bathroom more frequently. That's a simple physical constraint that if you put more fluids in your body, more fluids will come out. If you are using the bathroom too much, I'd cut down your water intake. Generally, it's good to drink a lot more water when you exercise, but it doesn't need to be excessive.

You don't need to drink a huge amount of water to "flush toxins out of your body". Your liver and kidneys will filter everything just fine as long as you're adequately hydrate. A good rule of thumb is that if your urine is clear (not yellow), you're drinking enough water, and there's no need to make yourself uncomfortable or run to the bathroom more by drinking more.

Like most things in life, the key here is moderation, whether it's with tea, fluid intake, or anything!

Dec 13, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Comment on Eileen G's post
    There's a huge difference between light and heavy caffeine use. A single cup of 8oz. Coffee has a fair amount of caffeine, and is fine for most people. But 20oz. Drinks with extra shots of espresso? That's too much for most people.

Dec 13, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Comment on shygrneyzs's post
    You're doing it the right way, easing off gradually. Tea is a great option if you want to have more moderate amounts of caffeine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coffee [ 49 Answers ]

Hello: I don't drink coffee. It has caffeine in it. I am opposed to drug use. I work in a coffee shop. Should I be able to refuse to serve coffee to my customers on moral grounds? excon

Coffee [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that coffee is fatteing? A friend of mine says that coffee is not fatteing itself but it slows down metabolism and therefore makes u fat. She reckons tea is the opposite (ie. Speeds up metabolism). My other question is this: I don't like the taste of plain milk so I usually put some...

What is coffee enema [ 10 Answers ]

What is coffee enema and coffee diet

Coffee [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have this question. Is drinking 4 cups of coffee daily bad for your sex.

Tea/coffee [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just wanted to know some myths about coffee I want you to help me compare coffee with tea , since I have 2 to 3 cups Of either tea or coffee , or both (total) 1) I have a stammering problem , will consuming coffee increase it ? 2) does coffee cause acne , pimples 3) does coffee cause...

View more questions Search