Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuxedobob Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 04:52 PM
    NJ working in New York City
    I have two questions to ask: I am a sales person that works in New York but live in New Jersey. 20% of my accounts are in NJ but the balance are in the city.
    (a) Do I have to pay NY State tax and NJ tax.
    (b) This situation started last November so do I need to file a tax return for both states for the 5 weeks in 06

Thanks so much in advance for your help on this.

Bob
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Feb 25, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxedobob
    I have two questions to ask: I am a sales person that works in New York but live in New Jersey. 20% of my accounts are in NJ but the balance are in the city.
    (a) Do I have to pay NY State tax and NJ tax.
    (b) This situation started last November so do I need to file a tax return for both states for the 5 weeks in 06

Thanks so much in advance for your help on this.

Bob
    You will have to file in both states. New York allows you to allocate work days in NY and out. The perecentage will determine amount to report in NY. NJ will allow a credit in part or in full for taxes paid to NY.
    tuxedobob Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Thanks for getting to me so quick
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 11:10 AM
    I have nothing to add; Delite covered it all!

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes: Living in New York City but working in New Jersey [ 7 Answers ]

I live in New York City but work in New Jersey. I'm married no children. I'd like to find out about what are my taxes for New York City and New York State? Also, any advise for me for the next tax year on what to withhold from my employer? Thank you.

New York City First-timer! Scared! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, I'm going to NYC at the end of next month and I have a few queries because I'm practically going on my own (going with a friend but we've decided a lot of the time will be spent doing our own thing). I was wondering if anybody has any tips! Anything from how to stay safe, to where to...

Is it worth working in New York City [ 1 Answers ]

All right lets see if someone can make the decision for me since I have no clue it its worth it or not. I am 23 Electrical Engineering degree with EIT and work in New Jersey for a consulting firm making 55 I have a job offer to work in New York city for 65, it's the same kind of work Is...

New York City Income Tax [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is a resident of and attends college in Wisconsin. During the summer she had a paid internship in New York City. I believe she is considered a non-resident for NT state income tax purposes. But what about for the New York City income tax? She subleased an apartment on Avenue A for three...

New York City Tax for E2 visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am a foreigner with E1 visa residing in Queens, NY since April 2006. I am currently working in Manhatan. Do I have to pay the full New York City Tax? Thank you very much.

View more questions Search