Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sk8ernicky Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
    Am I gifted?
    I am a 14 year old girl who lives in Malta and goes to a private school in Malta where they do not take into consideration the high-achievers and children who are gifted and have potential.

I have always felt that I was different from everyone else, but I did not know what this meant. Recently, I have discovered about the term 'gifted', and I would like to know whether I might be gifted?

I love Mathematics and Science and I have a passion for learning and discovering new things. I am practically obsessed with Physics ( I have I love Physics apparel) I am very curious and I like researching about topics which are of a much higher level. I am able to solve problems and sums requiring higher level mathematics and I grasp concepts quickly, even advanced ones. I always get the highest marks in class in all subjects and I am one of the top at sports. I study half as much as other people and get straight As.

I have recently dedicated my spare time to memorizing the digits of pi and I have already memorized a 100 in about a week. I am very inquisitive and I ask questions which show a clear understanding of the topic and questions with deep meaning. I love reading, especially about the brain and the Universe. Often, I challenge my teachers and I prove them wrong on various occasions. I challenge rules and authority.

I have an excellent memory and I remember things in great detail. I can remember what each teacher wore on the first day of the term. I can remember the page number and what is on that page of every book I read. I am observant, and I notice details which people don't even know exist. I make connections with seemingly unrelated things.

I am a perfectionist and I get extremely sad whenever I fail to do something or get something wrong. I am very competitive and I always want to be the best.I am extremely shy, and I do not speak unless I necessarily have to. I am afraid of what other people may think of me, I am afraid of being judged.

Also, I have read that gifted children have 'overexcitabilites', and I can relate a lot of these to myself. I have been diagnosed with tactile sensitivity ( I don't wear t-shirts because they make me uncomfortable), I don't eat some foods like tomatoes or peaches because of their texture, and perfume smells make me sick. I feel guilty when something happens to my friends and I am not involved in any way and I feel a deep concern for other people, even those I don't know.

I have never done an I.Q test so I do not know what my I.Q score would be. Is there a possibility that I am gifted?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 24, 2012, 09:40 AM
    Yes, it sounds like you are. Now your main challenge is to yourself--to learn patience and kindness and how to challenge others' ideas without sounding like an insufferable snob and a know-it-all.

The sensory issues, the eidetic memory, and the extreme shyness interest me. Do you like things in order and always in the same place and prefer set routines? Do you have any problems interpreting and understanding others' body language or sarcasm?

May 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
    My room is usually a mess with all the books and papers running around, so I wouldn't say I like things in order, although I do know where everything is. I usually always plan out my day , what I'm going to do and etc, so yes I would say I like set routines.

Most times I do misinterpret sarcasm, and I don't laugh at jokes my friends make. As to body language, I'm not really sure, I'm very observant so I notice details and things but I don't know whether I interpret it well.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
    Do you tend to be clumsy? Can you ride a bike? Do you enjoy playing sports and running? Do you avoid being touched and hugged? And now my question of the day (be patient with me, as I have a good reason to ask) -- Has anyone ever told you you're weird?

May 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you tend to be clumsy? Can you ride a bike? Do you enjoy playing sports and running? Do you avoid being touched and hugged? And now my question of the day (be patient with me, as I have a good reason to ask) -- Has anyone ever told you you're weird?
    No, I don't think I'd consider myself clumsy as such, and yes, I can ride a bike. I enjoy playing sports and runnning a lot, I enjoy training soccer/football and athletics. I greatly dislike being touched and hugged and I am extremely ticklish (EXTREMELY). I tend to avoid human contact, even with my parents.

Yes, most people around school consider me to be weird. They do think I am very academically capable, but they call me crazy because I love math and science so much and even due to the way I speak.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ernicky View Post
    even due to the way I speak.
    Please explain.

May 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Please explain.
    My diction I mean ( sorry for the ambiguity) . I use complicated words, (when I do actually speak since most of the time I barely say a word) without knowing I do, and that kind of bothers them. Most of the time I have to explain myself after I say something, because they stare at me blankly or just nod. Frequently, after I speak , they reply with " In English please".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 24, 2012, 10:13 AM
    You are a very bright young person (female?) who has a very exciting future. Any minuses such as the perfectionism and social/tactile constraints are going to be special challenges for you, but I know you will figure out how to compensate.

Has it ever been mentioned that you might have some degree of Asperger's syndrome?

May 24, 2012, 10:19 AM
    You are a very bright young person (female?) who has a very exciting future. Any minuses such as the perfectionism and social/tactile constraints are going to be special challenges for you, but I know you will figure out how to compensate.

Has it ever been mentioned that you might have some degree of Asperger's syndrome?

Yes yes I am female, thank you for your nice comments, I've been trying to figure out about myself for a while now.

No, nobody had ever mentioned that possibility. I've never been tested by a psychologist except for the tactile sensitivity, and it never crossed my mind either.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
    The Asperger's might be worth exploring. It certainly would explain some things about you and would give you a leg up for understanding yourself and how people react to and interact with you.

Every Aspie I've ever know was very smart but had various quirks, most of which we have mentioned here. A very famous Aspie is Temple Grandin who has a Ph.D. in animal science and has done some amazing things during her life. You can read up on her on the Internet. Just Google her name. The science and math world is full of successful Aspies!

You might want to take a qualifying test (or use the score from a standardized test you have already taken) and join Mensa, the international high-IQ society (http://www.mensa.org/). Also, you might enjoy reading this blog, What is Asperger Syndrome? | The Asperger Café and my favorite entry, Tips for young Aspies.

May 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
    The Asperger's might be worth exploring. It certainly would explain some things about you and would give you a leg up for understanding yourself and how people react to and interact with you.

Every Aspie I've ever know was very smart but had various quirks, most of which we have mentioned here. A very famous Aspie is Temple Grandin who has a Ph.D. in animal science and has done some amazing things during her life. You can read up on her on the Internet. Just Google her name. The science and math world is full of successful Aspies!

You might want to take a qualifying test (or use the score from a standardized test you have already taken) and join Mensa, the international high-IQ society (What is Mensa? | Mensa International). Also, you might enjoy reading this blog, What is Asperger Syndrome? | The Asperger Café.
    Thank you so much for your help :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 24, 2012, 10:39 AM
    I'm here a lot, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Others will chime in too. And by the way, I've been married to an Aspie for 45 years, and we have an autistic/hyperlexic son who has an eidetic memory and has worked in a public library for over 20 years (surrounded by the books he loves).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tell if I am gifted? [ 17 Answers ]

You know. Its starting to make sense and I do understand now that I am different. Different yes because I am always finding myself not being able to place in words what ever it may be I'm trying to explain to someone. And no matter what I do. They will NEVER see what I can see in anything. In...

I think I'm gifted but I don't know [ 1 Answers ]

Ever since I was a little child I would either walk by any I go I could get a feeling or a vison of something that has happened in the area in the past. Sometimes I can past a place or walk some where and feel like I shoulld go another way... I don't kconfusednow if that makes it a gift or not...

Gifted but. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am 18 years old and have an IQ of 135. I was considered gifted ever since I was about 6. I was in enrichment programs and honors classes my whole life. I was also chosen, along with 20 other people, out of 2,000 or so to be in my colleges honor program. Anyway, I am here to say that I...

Is he Gifted? [ 5 Answers ]

Since the age of 3 my son has spoke of Religion or anything to do with Religious aspects. One day he told my husband and I Jesus was standing right behind him. Then he went into this detailed discription of how Jesus was crucified. He descriped how he had a "nest" on his head. He physically...

Gifted or not [ 10 Answers ]

My question is: I have a 6 year old daughter that I think is gifted... she started to walk at 9 -10 months old... went from sitting to walking... has been talking very clearly since 10 months and does everything ahead... I have told the school that I think she is gifted and nothing has been done...

View more questions Search