Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Savvy18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2012, 06:52 AM
    Signs a/c capacitor going bad? Fan motor? Anyone know?
    Outside a/c unit turns on, spins, runs great, cold. Then, after a while, it stops spinning. When it tries to kick back on, I hear a humm, it doesn't spin. Then after about a minute, I hear a humm, it doesn't spin. Then, after the unit tries for 2-3 times, it spins just fine and cools the house properly. This routine happens over and over. What could be the problem?

I had a guy come out and he was baffled. He's GUESSING it's the fan motor. I'm very skepitcal because when it runs, it's running perfect. To replace the fan motor it's going to cost me about $530 which includes the $75 diagnostic service call.

Has anyone seen this before?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 24, 2012, 08:09 AM
    I would chamge the capacitor, May solve the problem and worth the gamble.
    You can hear the Motor hum, what is the compressor doing at this time?
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

May 24, 2012, 08:15 AM
    Fan motor is overheating - get a tech who has worked in the field for more than a couple of days.

Could be motor going bad but there are a BUNCH of things to check first to eliminate that but it takes time -(not getting to the $500 tab quickly, of course) he also would swap out the same motor and leave and have the same thing happen in 15 minutes with the new one.
    Savvy18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2012, 08:38 AM
    I'm guessing it's the compressor I hear humm. Doesn't the compressor make noise first and then the spinning takes place? I hear the noise, then when the fan doesn't spin, I hear a pop as it stops. Then, everything kicks on just fine. I took a video of it with sound. Is there a way to post it so you can hear it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside fan motor bad or capacitor? [ 16 Answers ]

I came home late and found the house warmer than should be, looked at thermo and its set for 74 but reads 81 , so I go to vent its blowing room temp. So outside next to find the fan not spinning,I shut off ac inside and g back to outside unit . As I was trying to find the problem I smelled the fan...

AC Fan Motor, capacitor, or what? [ 9 Answers ]

I had the fan motor of my outdoor AC unit replaced about 5 years ago, it has an AO Smith mod F48K92A01 which I found online for about $65 but want to make sure it is not possibly the capacitor or something else first. I caught the unit having the fan hitting the splicer near the top, clank,...

Is capacitor specific to fan motor? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my AC fan motor and the site recommends changing the capacitor at the same time. Do I need to do this or if my existing capacitor still works or should I just leave it? If I do need to replace it, the model # I currently have is no longer produced. Do I just get the capacitor that...

New fan motor new capacitor motor burned up [ 2 Answers ]

Air went out. Replaced outside motor fan and capacitor and it burned up again. Fan was very hot when I took it out. Causes?

How does one test the capacitor or Verify a bad furnace blower motor? [ 3 Answers ]

Carrier product 58pAV090 model # 58PAVO90-14 Series 161. Main blower needed cleaning bad and I did so. Now it appears that it won't cycle back on .At times the motor runs perfectly from start to finish and at both the cool and the heat cycling times.But not both. If I tape the switch and help the...

View more questions Search