Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greenmtnate Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 04:50 AM
    Lived in my home for 1 year, Want to buy larger home. Will I pay taxes?
    I have lived in my current home for 1 year and would like to sell it to buy a larger home in the same town/state. I will most likely make a profit of $20k off my home and will re-invest every penny back into the larger home that I want to buy. Will I still have to pay taxes on the 20k from my first home even though I am re-investing all of it into a new home immediately? I live in the state of Massachusetts. Thank you in advance. -Nate
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2012, 04:54 AM
    Was this your first home? Are you sure you will make that much of a profit.

A homeowner is entitled to defer capital gains taxes on the sale of their primary residence under certain conditions. But I think one of the requirements is more than 1 years residency.

May 23, 2012, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Was this your first home? Are you sure you will make that much of a profit.

A homeowner is entitled to defer capital gains taxes on the sale of their primary residence under certain conditions. But I think one of the requirements is more than 1 years residency.
    Yes this is my first home, It's a town house that I purchased on an FHA mortgage and have lived in for 1 year, 2 months now. The home was a foreclosure/bank owned so I ended up getting it well under what it's worth hence the 20k of equity. Like I said previously, I will be investing every penny I make off it into the larger home I would like to buy. Hope this helps! Thanks again. -Nate
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2012, 05:37 AM
    The exclusion only applies if you lived in the house for 2 of the 5 years prior to the sale.

Capital gains home-sale tax break a boon for owners

I'm not sure what the deal is for shorter term ownership so I'm moving this to our Tax forum for the experts there to advise.

May 23, 2012, 07:16 AM
    Thank you Scott.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Scott is correct - to qualify for the capital gains exclusion you must live in the home as your primary residence at least 2 of the previous 5 years. Accordingly you will have to report the $20K as a capital gain, and you will owe taxes on the gain. The capital gain tax rate is a flat 15% if you own the house for at least a year (i.e. it's classified as a long term capital gain). One other rthig - in reportung the sale be sure to account for all costs you incurred in buying and then selling the house, and also include in the cost basis any capital improvements you may have made - this will help lower the tax bite.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I lived in my home for 7yrs,landlord and bank has abandoned property I want to buy it [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in my home for 7yrs, the individual (landlord) who originally leased the property to me for use as a group home is no where to be found. The bank who is shown as the owner is no longer in existence. I have searched for the last six years to no avail, to get information and all roads...

Occupant lived in home for 3 months promising to pay rent and then bailed out. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best process for suing an old occupant for 3 months ($3900) of unpaid rent in Sacramento, California? If occupant was named on the lease as girlfriend living with BF(primary renter), do we have any luck of suing her for unpaid rent as she remained living in home with agreement to pay...

Can I buy a used car in GA and pay GA taxes without paying taxes in my home state [ 1 Answers ]

Can I buy a used car in GA and pay GA taxes without paying taxes in my home state?

Buy home for taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know where to ask this question at but I need to know where do I buy a house from back taxes and how much can I pay I only want to spend like 2000 dollars on a house

Which state do I pay taxes to? (lived in each exactly half a year) [ 1 Answers ]

I moved from Texas to California last year and arrived in CA on July 1st. I didn't bother to get my CA driver's license for several months, but did establish residency on that date. Since Texas has no income tax, of course, I'd like to say that it was my state of residency last year, since it...

View more questions Search