Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goshjosh95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
    1st floor air vent water leak when 2nd floor shower FAN IS ON?
    I saw a lot of articles about leaks through water vents when there's no shower fan, or when it's off, but not when the fan is on! Whenever the weather gets warmer (like end of May, particularly as summer approaches), when we take a shower in the master bathroom on the second floor, about 1-2 cups of water will leak out of an air vent on the first floor under that bathroom... but only when the master bath's fan vent is on! I thought the fan was supposed to cause the water not to condensate?

What's happening? Why does it happen only during warm weather (during the winter, the problem just stops)? How can we fix it? Thanks, everyone.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 23, 2012, 06:22 AM
    [QUOTEWhenever the weather gets warmer (like end of May, particularly as summer approaches), when we take a shower in the master bathroom on the second floor, about 1-2 cups of water will leak out of an air vent on the first floor under that bathroom.. ][/QUOTE]
    Are you saying it leaks from a AAV that's installed under the tub? Back to you, n Tom
    goshjosh95 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Are you saying it leaks from a AAV that's installed under the tub? Back to you, n Tom
    Yes, it seems like the air vent that drips is probably directly under the 2nd floor tub. Is that just condensation? And why does it happen only during warm weather?

Quote Originally Posted by goshjosh95 View Post
    Yes, it seems like the air vent that drips is probably directly under the 2nd floor tub. Is that just condensation? And why does it happen only during warm weather?
    And also, only when the ceiling fan is on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2nd floor toilet leaks through to the 1st floor ceiling. How can I fix this? [ 3 Answers ]

When I turn off the water to the 2nd floor toilet, the leak stops through the 1st floor ceiling. I just changed the flap - thinking it was a problem with the fill mode (i.e. originally, the toilet wouldn't stop running but wasn't filling the tank nor the bowl - that's when the leak began through...

Water leak from 2nd floor shower [ 7 Answers ]

We have a second floor shower (the shower is fiberglass) and underneath it is our living room. We noticed a little bit of a water spot (real lit brown barely can be seen) around our recessed lighting and then the design that is sprayed onto the ceiling began to fall apart. I repaired this spot...

2nd floor shower leak into 1st floor room below [ 2 Answers ]

Is there an easy fix or on average how much does it cost to fix a leak in a shower and the ceiling below? The shower started leaking this morning and I awoke this morning to a drip and looked up to see a bubble on the ceiling I am guessing came from the leakt shower above.

Leaked water from 2nd floor to 1st floor! [ 2 Answers ]

I was cleaning a bathtub on the second floor and unfortunately left the water on with the sprayer on the floor. It ran for about 5 - 10 minutes before discovered. The water leaked through the tile floor and dripped through the ceiling of the first floor. After cleaning up the water, what is the...

1st floor ceiling leak below 2nd floor shower [ 2 Answers ]

Our ceiling has developed a swelling or bubble in the ceiling and when touched-it literally fell apart and created a hole. It is dry to the touch but happens to be right in line with our 2nd floor master bedroom shower where the plumbing probably comes down. The shower has a plastic floor with a...

View more questions Search