Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kelsendar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 04:58 PM
    HIPAA Violation at Pharmacy?
    I've gone to the same pharmacy for a few years, now. It's a chain of grocery stores local to my area. I have had numerous occasions when they have given me medicine names before verifying my identity. Example: Hi, I'm Mike Smith and I have some prescriptions ready. Response: Yes, sir. I see we have 7 available. The <medication name> is on special order and will be in tomorrow afternoon. I was never asked for my birth date or anything and there were several people in line. This has happened 5 times now. I have called the pharmacy manager as well as corporate relations. And it happened again tonight. Is this a violation of some sort?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 05:08 PM
    No, not a violation. I walk into my pharmacy and say, hi,, name... I have two refills, they say, hi... say my first name... people in line... that is okay. No one knows my personal information and none has been revealed. Stop bothering these people because they are not committing any infringement on your personal information unless they say, hi, oh okay mr. albert smith, your social insurance number is... and your doctor's name is... and your address is...

Sorry, no you don't have any recourse unless private information is being divulged at the onset.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Where I come from it is called good customer service, they know your name, call you by name.

They normally don't say what the prescription is, But if there is a problem with the order they have to talk to you about it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    ... they are not committing any infringement on your personal information unless they say, hi, oh okay mr. albert smith, your social insurance number is....and your doctor's name is...and your address is. ...
    Evidently you didn't read the OP's post completely. As I read it, the name of the medicine was announced in earshot of several people. That would be a HIPAA violation I believe.

Name, address, Social Security number are not HIPAA-protected info. As far as I know, by-the-way.
    Expert

May 23, 2012, 01:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Evidently you didn't read the OP's post completely. As I read it, the name of the medicine was announced in earshot of several people. That would be a HIPAA violation I believe.

Name, address, Social Security number are not HIPAA-protected info. as far as I know, by-the-way.
    In Ontario, social insurance numbers are used to identify clients on prescription insurance forms, so yes, that would be sensitive information. Yes, I did read the post completely and if I had thought naming the medicine was sensitive information I would have mentioned it.
    tech student Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2013, 07:02 AM
    I am currently in a pharmacy technician class, and currently learning about Hipaa. It is a violation to mention the medicine name out loud for others to hear in association to name.
    tech student Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2013, 07:06 AM
    Let me clarify that, teacher is just saying, there must be teamwork in the retail, the retail pharmacy is in open area, but it is important not to mention the name of the person in association with the name of the drug outloud for others customers to hear. In this situation, this person was in line with others behind him/her could hear that his/her name was mentioned with the name of the drug. Suppose the drug was for psychotic reasons, or the drug was for sexual reasons, or for lice or for something personal. Or if the drug is most commonly used for such a reason, but prescribed by the doctor for something not common or as embarrassing.
    Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tech student View Post
    let me clarify that, teacher is just saying, there must be teamwork in the retail, the retail pharmacy is in open area, but it is important not to mention the name of the person in association with the name of the drug outloud for others customers to hear. In this situation, this person was in line with others behind him/her could hear that his/her name was mentioned with the name of the drug. Suppose the drug was for psychotic reasons, or the drug was for sexual reasons, or for lice or for something personal. Or if the drug is most commonly used for such a reason, but prescribed by the doctor for something not common or as embarrassing.
    Well then the worker behind the counter should be taken to task and told not to name names in connection with the drug they are dispensing.

It the worker said okay John smith, at 25 smith rd. and your telephone no is kkkkkkkl etc an d your sin no is kkkkkkk, out loud, then that is a HIPAA violation, tech student.
    tech student 2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2013, 10:34 AM
    OK, I am tech student, and it has been several months since I last posted. I have since worked at a pharmacy as a tech part time while going to school.
    OK.. so now I have a different standpoint, yes, pharmacy techs and pharmacists are trying to provide the utmost customer service. Also, many patients who are regulars, want and expect you to know them by name and all details sometimes. After talking to my manager (pharmacist) and having more classes since especially revolving around HIPAA, you can technically mention just the last name associated with the drug. Sometimes after a busy day it is possible perhaps for full name to slip... although I have not seen it really. Now, I do ask for last name, then I ask for first... and I don't say the drug unless the patient asks and I will share it low-key (as quietly as I can).
    Technically, it is and cannot be a big deal. It depends. Yes, technically it is a HIPAA violation, because both last name and first with the drug was said outloud. I may think it is harsh too, I am nervous about violating HIPAA by accident, but those inforcing HIPAA take it very serious, and if you or someone else wants to file suit... technically you can. HIPAA is complicated yet harsh, but wants to protect every consumer from an embarrassing or harmful one such as reputation.

May 6, 2013, 10:37 AM
    Again, this is a touchy subject, I don't want anyone fired, but HIPAA is a big deal so I am being told and "brainwashed" by my employer and school, due to law-suits that have been filed. Perhaps to be fair, a warning should be given at the least if an accident. But in this case, it seems this person is being ignored and avoided.

May 6, 2013, 11:14 AM
    One last add on, again... I know this sounds ridiculous, and everyone now a days is sue-happy. But I grantee you can call HIPAA hotline and present this info explaining both first and last name with drug name out loud for others to hear, without any other identifiers, they are going to tell you that is a violation. If they say no, then by golly, post it on here so us techs can relax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation in Pharmacy [ 5 Answers ]

I was at Target yesterday and inquired why one of my prescriptions was not filled. The technician said one second and went to talk to the pharmacist. She was speaking from the back of the pharmacy and said Mr. Bowman I see where this presription (the actual name) and this prescription (actual...

Can I sue a pharmacy for a HIPAA law violation? [ 2 Answers ]

Cvs pharmacy gave 3 months of my scripts to someone else. They never called me the person did.. so I called there corproarte office its been going round and round. They say oh sorry human error... can I sue ?

Is it a Hipaa violation for a pharmacy employee to get customer's phone number? [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if it is a Hipaa violation if a pharmacy employee wants to befriend a customer who seems down and out and gets their phone number off the pharmacy computer and calls them at home to invite them to a social during the Christmas season. This actually happened in North Carolina. ...

Hipaa violation in pharmacy [ 2 Answers ]

I work as a technician in a pharmacy, and made a counting error. While I was on break, my manager printed out the flow of who typed it followed by their name, who filled it, I was going to resign. I packed up everything in my cubby along with that paper he printed out and hung up. I have since...

Can I ask for damages for a pharmacy hipaa violation [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know if I can sue or ask for damages from a pharmacy that violated hipaa law

View more questions Search