Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    konradsa Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Negligible amount of income in Germany
    Hi,

I am F1 student on OPT, citizen of Germany, in the US since 2001. For 2006, I will need to file my taxes for the first time as a resident.

Now I read that I need to report my world-wide income. I have some unsubstantial income in Germany (couple of $100 in interest), nothing big, which properly taxed in Germany and I paid the taxes. I don't have any other source of income in Germany. Would I need to report that? Or is this income not subject to US tax, since there is a tax treaty between Germany and the US and I already paid taxes in Germany?

Thanks,
    -- Sascha
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Yes, you need to include it on your tax return.

You can file Form 1116 to claim a dollar-for-dollar credit for the taxes you paid to Germany.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Feb 26, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Thanks,

I will try to do it myself, but if I need help I will definitely contact you for professional help. You (and taxsearcher) have been a huge help thus far, I really appreciate it.

-- Sascha
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Glad to help!

Mar 11, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Ok,

I got all of my account statements from my German banks together. So, what do I need to do now to report the foreign interest income? I assume I add it to my gross income and also fill out 1040 Schedule B? But do I also need to fill out a TD F 90-22.1? And also, what exchange rate do I need to use to convert from Euro to US $?

Thanks!
    -- Sascha
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Sascha:

I believe Form TDF 90-22.1 is required, but I am not sure. TaxSearcher?

You can use the exchange rate for today or the average exchange rate for 2006. The IRS will not quibble over the differences.
    German Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 10:13 PM
    It is required. On the IRS website they give you a few links to websites that post annual conversion rates (from the US treasury to Oanda). For 2006 it was 1.2563.

By the way: Are there any people out there that are qualified as CPAs (or equivalent) in Germany and the US. I have some complex issues myself. I need a CPA with specific German experience.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 11:28 AM
    No CPA here; I am just an ordinary tax consultant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

Greer from Germany, 1860s [ 1 Answers ]

I have a good friend whose maiden name was Greer. Her Father's family came from Germany, starting in 1860. The majority of them came to North Dakota, but some settled in Indiana. If you are interested, I can ask her to post here to you.

Goals of Gerd M [ 1 Answers ]

How many goals did the German soccer legend Gerd Müller get in total in his career (both in the Geman "Bundesliga" and the National Team)?

Summer project in Germany, students would be paid by 1500 EURO/month [ 0 Answers ]

3RD SUMMER PROGRAM IN ALTERNATIVE SPLICING We are looking for 10 natural science or medical undergraduate students for a four-week paid work/study summer program, sponsored by a European Commission grant. The objective of this summer program is to create a manually maintained computer...

View more questions Search