Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    koolbreeze73 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
    Can a good father get custody of an unborn child?
    My wife and I have been together for a yr. After she got pregnant she stopped taking her antidepressants. Ever since she has threatened to leave. Left once for a month pulling her kids out of school for a cross country trip. Now she is 4.5 weeks pregnant. And says she is done and refuses to work on us. She has 3 kids prior to our relationship that never had a father. 2 with same sperm donor and one with another jerk that's not even on the birthcertificate. She is going to take those 3 kids away from the only dad they have ever known as well as our unborn son. Would it be possible for me to file for custody and have it granted beforethe child is born? I live in GA with her at this time. But she may move to WAstate any day. She says kids don't need a dad. I disagree I am an awesome dad and have proved it many times over even with children that aren't my own. I do not want my son moved around from man to man and never have a daddy. I need help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
    You can not get custody of a unborn child, you have to wait till the child is born to file for any custody. You will have to prove in court that she is unfit.

You will not have any rights to the other kids that are not yours

Also before you start talking to anyone at the court, get the term "spem donor" out of your usage, that is a person who gives sperm at a sperm bank
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You will not have any rights to the other kids that are not yours
    Actually, at least some courts have adopted the "psychological father" theory to allow non-bio, non-adoptive parents to sue for custody. Check with an attorney in your jurisdiction to see if this concept might work there.

Jul 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
    Jurisdiction in a divorce case
    Determines jurisdiction in a divorce case?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
    There may have more than one answer. More info will help us.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2012, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by koolbreeze73 View Post
    This sentence is missing a subject. Should it be, perhaps, "what" or "who"?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2012, 05:40 AM
    I suspect husband in Georgia, wife in Washington (State).

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...ld-662553.html
    Family Law Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 09:28 AM
    Supreme Court of Georgia Bowman v. Bowman, 234 Ga. 348, 216 S.E.2d 103 -While parental rights are still intact, a third party can't get custody.
    Family Law Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post

So do I but I am not going to investigate it.
    Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 09:37 AM

The link comes right back to this same thread. You gave us the runaround. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
    {threads merged} Please don't start multiple threads. If she leaves you can file for divorce in GA before she can establish residency in WA. This will help you file custody for you child. However, it might not help with the other children.

Jul 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Actually, at least some courts have adopted the "psychological father" theory to allow non-bio, non-adoptive parents to sue for custody. Check with an attorney in your jurisdiction to see if this concept might work there.
    She is 6 months pregnant with my son and has cut all communication. All I get from her is threats from ger mom. Neither one of them are mentally stable and have been and are involved in welfare fraud. We are still married, I live in ga and she has moved to wa state and filed for divorce within 3 weeks of getting there... in an effort to keep the child from having my last name and keep me out if the child's life
    Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 09:44 AM

If that's the case, and OP/ husband resides in Georgia, the Georgia court would have jurisdiction over a divorce case against his wife. And such jurisdiction should be reserved until the birth of the child, at which time custody of any children of the marriage can be decided.

This is a permutation of the UCCJEA which I haven't seen before. Quite an interesting chicken & egg problem, actually. Because absent a divorce (such as the case where the parents are not married), if the mom gives birth in Washington, custody jurisdiction will be in Washington under UCCJEA.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 21, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Counter file in GA immediately (Monday morning). Claim that GA has jurisdiction since she has established residency in WA.

And get an attorney to do this

This sentence is missing a subject. Should it be, perhaps, "what" or "who"?
    yes what or who
    Expert

... she has moved to wa state and filed for divorce within 3 wks of getting there. ....
    Ah. Nice plot twist. Most (or many) states have a durational residency requirement for divorce filings. I'm not sure if Washington is one of them.

Did her Washington divorce complaint indicate that she is pregnant by you?

Jul 21, 2012, 09:49 AM
    I am familiar with that concept. I am also thinking of that as well

Jul 21, 2012, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    {threads merged} Please don't start multiple threads. If she leaves you can file for divorce in GA before she can establish residency in WA. This will help you file custody for you child. However, it might not help with the other children.
    She has not established residency, but the judge says he will grant her a divorce, but recommends her to do it all in Ga

Jul 21, 2012, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Counter file in GA immediately (Monday morning). Claim that GA has jurisdiction since she has established residency in WA.

And get an attorney to do this
    She actually hasn't established residency. She is still covered under Ga medicaid. She is on a lease here and only left on May 27th

Jul 21, 2012, 09:57 AM
    She actually hasnt established residency. She is still covered under Ga medicaid. She is on a lease here and only left on May 27th
    If I counter file in ga and she has the child in Wa state, where will custody be?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the father of my unborn child get 50% custody if I want primary custody? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 4 months pregnant and the father of the child and I are no longer together. For personal reasons I want to give the child my last name, not his. He says he can CHANGE the baby's last name once a paternity test is done. Is that correct? Also, I want primary custody and would agree to give him...

Custody of an unborn child to the father? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a potential Grandmother of a young son whom may have gotten a woman pregnant. My son wants "custody" of this unborn child when it is born sometime in the fall. What are his chances of child custody? He is currently living in Virginia and wants to relocate out of the state once the child is...

Can father of my unborn child receive custody or visitation rights after child is bor [ 5 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the babies father is going after custody or visitation when the child is born. He is very abusive and does have a violent record from the past. He is been making many threats towards me and my unborn child. He has even stated that once he has the child in his hands he stated that...

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

View more questions Search