Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Loki292 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Trying to lose weight, gaining it instead
    Hello,
    I am going to skip the small talk and get right to my question (as I know you don't want to read a novel here). And obviously my question is in relation to weight loss.. so, basically, I have tried everything I know to try-and I'm coming up with no results. This is no exaggeration.. I end up gaining a pound or two every week (which adds up). So, I want to give you some specifics and ask you your opinion about what I'm doing wrong and/or what I need to do now.

So, I am 5'7, 26 years old, and I weigh about 180. My bone structure is very small, however. I am meant to hold about 125-135 lbs. according to my doctors (yes, I have enlisted the help/opinion of a couple). Genetically, speaking I come from small structured people, too. My rib cage, my wrists, my ankles-all very small--which proves to cause some pain when you carry more weight than you're supposed to!

Anyway, I am a vegetarian (occasionally eating tuna-in sandwiches). I eat once meal a day, sometimes two. I eat some snacks, but not a lot-and my snacks mostly consist of a piece of fruit, sometimes a candy bar or something, but mostly like a granola bar, or an apple or something. I don't not eat because I'm starving myself though--I am normally just not hungry.. honestly. Or I am commuting from place to place (with college and church and work) and I don't have time to eat. My point here, I guess, is that I'm not really taking in that much food-why am I gaining weight? I do eat a good dinner every night though.

Um.. I think that might be it-oh, exercise--I normally don't do a tremendous amount or anything (just being honest). I'll do a little on the elliptical trainer, some walking, some crunches and push-ups, some tennis sometimes. But I don't have a whole lot of time or energy for that matter. Oh, and another thing-my I am bigger all around (except those places I mentioned before-wrists, etc... )-but my "fat" is in my stomach and upper arms mostly. My butt and thighs have a layer of fat, but right under that is some very strong, hard muscle-there's just a lot of it. How do I get rid of this? Better yet, how do I make it smaller? I don't mind having muscular thighs and butt-but I want it all smaller. I just don't know how to get rid of muscle, especially when you're not really exercising to keep it muscular.

All right, I think that really is it. Thank you so much for reading this and taking the time out of your schedule to help me. I really need it. I gained all this weight in the last 3-4 years, before that I was a always between 100-125.. and it's really starting to depress me now. I have tried it all-dieting, exercising, diet pills, pilates, meditating, everything! And, like I said, I gain weight! A pound or two at a time.. but it adds up quick!

Thanks again.. take care...
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 02:15 PM
    OK, A healthy vegetarian diet consists of plant based foods like fruit, veggies, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. But the three types of Vegetarians are:

Vegans- They eat no meat at all, or milk, eggs, cheese or fish

Lacto-vegetarians- they drink milk, milk products but don't eat fish, meat or poultry

Lacto-ovo vegetarians- who omit red meat, fish and poultry but eat eggs, milk and milk products.

You seems to be a vegetarian in your own place, If your only eating tuna sadwiches hopefully the tuna is based in water, not oil, otherwise its high calories. Try to incorporate Tofu products, texturized vegetable protein or soy burgers in your diet, you need more variety, and your body needs protein. There are a lot of meat free meals like spagetti with wheat pasta, or veggie stir fry with the veggie protein broke up in it or chili with extra black beans for instance that will add this variety. So you really need to round out you overall diet a little better. As far a the granola bars, there's so many differences in brands that you really need to be careful, the problem with so called "Healthy" granola bars is that some brands are not necessarily low in calories or sugar, so this is where reading the labels is so important, some hard, chocolate chip bars have 124 calories, and yet some uncoated bars with raisins have 192 calories. FDA regulations state that almost any food containing calories can be marketed as "energy food", so you really need to check all labels. And the Candy Bars, No way, Say you eat 1 snickers bar every day, that's 266 calories per day or 27 lbs in one year. You really need to say no to sweets. The other thing to watch is your salt, sodium intake, chips, fries, adding more salt to your foods, all not good if your trying to lose weight. Snack on nuts or dried fruits instead and go by the serving size! Do you drink colas or High fructose corn syrup laden drinks, check the labels, drink water instead, otherwise these sugars are a # 1 source of calories. As far as exercise, there's no way around it, you need to exercise, aerobically, with weights, run, walk or jog every day 4-5 times a weeks for 30-60 minute sessions. There's no magic pills, or prepackaged food or starvation plans that work as well as healthy natural foods, fruits, veggies, grains and legumes but round it out with the proper protein substitutes. So I hope this helps a bit.;)
    Loki292 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 11:53 PM
    Hey-
    Thanks for the info. Well, I grew up vegetarian and started eating a little fish here in the last year or two. Just a little here and there. Other than that-I am a vegetarian. As for what I eat for my "real" dinner-well, I am East Indian and I don't know if you are familiar with our food but basically, almost every night I have a traditional Indian meal. Which, since we are vegetarians, consists of lots of veggies and grains-cooked with different spices-we don't really use sugar a lot, but we do use a little salt (amongst other spices like red pepper, tumeric, etc... ).

I I hope this helps explain a little more. As for running I kind of can't due to some knee pain (I've had some operations for non-weight related reasons). Plus, I feel the extra weight has caused them to hurt as well. I do drink cola.. I know it's bad, but I drink diet coke only, and only every once in a while. I try to drink lots of water, but I don't really know how much I'm supposed to drink. Some people have said 8 "glasses" a day, others have said 10 "glasses" and still others told me if I drink a gallon of water a day I'll shed the pounds faster (of course combining it with exercise and diet). So which is it?

Thanks again.. you really seem to know what you're talking about. I appreciate it.

Take Care..
    baal12 Posts: 35, Reputation: 0

Feb 26, 2007, 03:25 PM
    A problem may be you are not eating, though you are not hungry, it may be necessary. When your body goes a long time without what it considers "Enough food" it goes to starvation-survival mode (Forgot the proper term, this is Laymens), meaning when you DO put food it, it stores it ALL as fat cells to provide energy, as opposed to just siphoning what it needs and disposing of the rest. You may want to eat 3-5 SMALL meals a day, like a small salad or something.
    sexybeasty Posts: 112, Reputation: 16

Feb 26, 2007, 03:44 PM
    You need to restart your metabolism. It is very sluggish and the results are in. I am your very same size underneath. I am 5'7" and am up to 146 lbs and would love to weigh 127 again as I am small boned too. I eat all the time and my problem is I am so hungry in the winter. I work outdoors, (walking letter carrier), and in the winter, my stomach is constantly growling and telling me to feed...which I do. I am up 15 pounds. My friends laugh about my weight worries. They say, "you do this every year". Your problems, however are cause for concern.

If my metabloism was sluggish like yours is now, I would eat small frequent meals, 300 calories each, every 3 hours 6 times a day. I would walk for my evening meal, for it is an awsome way to kick your metabolism up a few notches. Maybe walk to a Chinese restaurant and get some musu tofu or something like that. Keep it light and then walk home. Get pleanty of sleep, cut your coffee to one cup a day, and get back to me. If this doesn't start working, you need to see a doctor and have your thyroid checked.

I am sure you are quite beautiful reguardless of your weight, but it IS troublesome that your body isn't adjusting and at least staying at a set point. I would love a online workout buddy, so if you start getting more energy, particularly after you start the eve walks, maybe we can keep each other posted about workouts and progress. I know I'll be good in the spring which is around the corner. Thank God...it is cold lately...even in California. "If it weren't for the dogs and the weather and the mail, my job would be wonderful... " famous last words of a letter carrier.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki292
    Hey-
    Thanks for the info. Well, I grew up vegetarian and started eating a little fish here in the last year or two. Just a little here and there. Other than that-I am a vegetarian. As for what I eat for my "real" dinner-well, I am East Indian and I don't know if you are familiar with our food but basically, almost every night I have a traditional Indian meal. Which, since we are vegetarians, consists of lots of veggies and grains-cooked with different spices-we don't really use sugar a lot, but we do use a little salt (amongst other spices like red pepper, tumeric, etc...).

I I hope this helps explain a little more. As for running I kind of can't due to some knee pain (I've had some operations for non-weight related reasons). Plus, I feel the extra weight has caused them to hurt as well. I do drink cola..I know it's bad, but I drink diet coke only, and only every once in a while. I try to drink lots of water, but I don't really know how much I'm supposed to drink. Some people have said 8 "glasses" a day, others have said 10 "glasses" and still others told me if I drink a gallon of water a day I'll shed the pounds faster (of course combining it with exercise and diet). So which is it?

Thanks again..you really seem to know what you're talking about. I appreciate it.

Take Care..
    Your diet sounds good a little salt is OK but most foods have enough that you don't need to salt it when it comes to you! As for exercise, You have knee problems, and that's OK too, there's still a lot you can do, that less stressful, stationary bikes, at low speed, leg weights, and resistance training. Soda, even diet is a nono, try if you can, try to limit it to 1 or to a day and really try to cut it out eventually, try to switch to 100% fruit juice is the goal, OK 8-10* glasses is good of water, as much as you can take. Water before meals is the true goal, it fill you up so you'll eat less. Say you have the urge to snack, snack on some nuts, or seeds, 1 oz, a palms worth and two glasses of water and I guarantee it'll curb your urges. I believe your on the right path, you should see positive results with some little changes!;)
    Neversuspectme Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 12:58 PM
    how much are u exercising over 5 hrs Vegeterians are not so great sometimes do you focus on all starches? Instead of forms of veggie proteins for example cottage cheese 3/4 cup is one serving of protein 2 cups of lentils beans are a 1 protein woman always over starch and under protein how much water are you drinking are u takeing amulit vitamin w/ iron in it Take a supp on the side called B12 vegeterians need this check out a calcium and vitaminD even OMEGA fatty essential acid is what u need
    Do you eat fish even cheese 4oz is a protein maybe nuts seeds 5 tbspl\ unsalted =priotein you need to eat at least 4 different veg and 3 different fruits a stach is a PC of bread a pita 5 crackers 1 cup pasta 1/2 cup cooked rice YOU NEED all the food groups in there

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Chihuahua is not gaining weight [ 2 Answers ]

I have a six mon. old chihuahua that is gaining weight very slowly. She weigh in at 15oz. Her legs is long and her vet says there is non-thing wrong with her she a healthy little pup. Can any tell me is this normal.

Can't lose, not gaining [ 4 Answers ]

OK... I've had four kids (10, 8, 4 and 2 1/2 years of age), I'm 5'3" and 33 yearls old... at present I weigh 165... I do pretty good eating healthy, try to incorporate lost of fruit/vegetables in my diet and drink plenty of H2O... I do work out... not religiously, but I usually walk at least 2miles...

Why am I not gaining weight [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been lifting weights for about two month now eating good healthy food, and taking protein shakes at least three times a day. The problem is I am not gaining weight I am in fact losing weight. Why? I am lifting three days a week for at least an hour a day if not longer, but I am not...

Gaining weight without getting fat [ 4 Answers ]

OK about half a year ago when I was 160lbs had a really bad case of acid reflux and I threw up a lot because I never went to see a doctor and I didn't know how to treat it, but saw a doctor and now I'm on prevacid and all is goood except I lost a lot of nutrients and I could see my ribs a lot and I...

View more questions Search