Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2012, 06:02 AM
    Reposting Facebook comments/posts
    I was asked a question and have no answer - or idea.

I think that once you post a photo on line it's there forever, and other people can copy, paste and use it, without permission in most cases, as long as they don't make money from the posting.

What about comments? Could a person post something, it is copied by a second person, first person removes and denies the posting, second person posts it and states it's been copied from #1's Facebook?

Legally, of course - what are the problems?

I know - very high school.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 06:06 AM
    Wow, that's a good question. As you know, internet law is still in its infancy.

Are you talking about copyright infringement? Plagiarism?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2012, 07:50 AM
    I've researched but I can't find anything. Here's the scenario.

I can't give all of the ID'ing info but let's try this: I post on MY FB that I am cheating on my husband, where I am going, who I'm running with, how I'm covering my tracks, I actually post that I'm checking in a hotel at that exact moment, "haha" on my husband (who is babysitting with our kids). (And I can't believe what people post, but that's the stuff of other threads and categories.)

You are my husband's sister. You contact an investigator to follow me - the investigator thinks it's too convoluted (and it would be expensive) and being hired by anyone other than the partner/spouse is ALWAYS bad news.

You think about it for a week or so and then tell my husband (your brother) what I've posted.

He confronts me, I delete everything/anything from FB and deny it all. You have printed out what I posted BUT this has turned into a family argument, people taking sides, my husband will no longer speak to you, won't let you see our children, I tell everyone you're a troublemaker, you can't get anyone's ear.

I'm not asking morally what happens next.

No one wants to go to an Attorney because there aren't any grounds for anything (at least that I can see from my position in this, which is really no position in this). Fooling around doesn't necessarily make you a bad mother. So your family no longer believes you and thinks you're a troublemaker. How damaging is that?

So - what if you decide a good way to solve this is to let the family members read what was posted... and so you post (in quotes) what I posted on MY FB.

Do I have recourse?

Whew - I don't want to have to explain that ever again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Managing posts on my Facebook Wall [ 2 Answers ]

Must every who is a friend be able to read everything that comes in on my wall on Facebook? If someone writes to me and I don't want what they say to stay on my wall for everyone else To read, can I get rid of it any way?

I can't comment to posts to my Facebook. [ 3 Answers ]

The comment area is grayed out and will not allow me to comment. HELP!

Facebook wall posts, printing. [ 5 Answers ]

Can a friend legally print,distribute to her own friends,discuss and ridicule you from texts exchanged between myself and another friend from my own wall posts off Facebook.

Reposting, maybe someone might have come across it [ 3 Answers ]

I've been trying to help someone find a name of a animated movie. It has to do with a little girl that has to kill a witch , it involves a flower incased in glass. I guess that represents the heart of the witch... I thought I had a vague memorie of it, but now I'm wondering if I'm getting it...

Myspace comments posts question [ 10 Answers ]

How does a MySpace member - when going on a FRIENDS page to post a comment - THEN making an error - DELETE that allowed posted comment on the other member's site? Can it be done?. or does the FRIEND have to delete the errored post him/herself? Thanks! -Geepers

View more questions Search