Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denmark219 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Toilet looonng way from main waste stack.
    I am putting in a master bath off the master bedroom which is on the 2nd floor. The problem is the closest 4" main waste stack is about 16' away from where the toilet is. I will try to explain this from the perspective of if you were actually sitting on the toilet taking care of business. The 90 degree closet bend will head left from the toilet going through the joists below (joists are parallel to my legs as i sit on the toilet). The joists are big enough to handle the 3" drain going through them with the allowed drop (1/8" per foot and staying 2" away from the top or bottomedge of the joist). So after about 6' of going to the left, I will use a gradual sweep of 90 degrees to head back 11' behind me (underneath another bedroom and then I will sweep 90 degrees to go down the wall I am going to modify to handle the 3" drain stack. Now I will head down through the first floor and end up in the basement about 4 feet from my stack.

With that said, you can see how it is quite a distance and alot of turns from my main cast iron stack. I plan to run a 1 1/2" vent immediately after my closet bend that will run back to the wall behind the toilet and up through the attic into the roof (not worth messing around sending a horizontal vent run alllllll the way across the attiic).

I can draw a picture if my explanation is sub-par. Thanks in advance for any help.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 11:10 AM
    OK, sounds like a plan. I am guessing you are going to penetrate the roof with the vent. Also, are you going to have a lavatory in this room?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 25, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Looks good to me. I would use long sweeps if you have the room. Doug asked about a lavatory. If you're planning one then a separate toilet vent will not be needed. As for the vent you may take it up into the attic and revent back into a existing roof vent instead of going through the roof.. I would also increase the vent to 2" if it doesn't cause a problem. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 11:47 AM
    I am guessing a 'chamber' is a bedroom? You are adding a toilet with no handwash sink and eliminating the closet altogether? I hope you are not ever planning to sell this house.
    denmark219 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Thanks for the speedy replies everyone. I can easily change it to a 2" vent for sure. I just showed you a quick sketch of my plan on top of the old drawings of the house. The bathroom plans thatI have drawn up are actually much more detailed and involved. The bedroom will still have a full walk in closet. There will be a sink and full tub as well as separate shower in the bathroom as well. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the drainage issue with the toilet, so that's all I drew. Again thanks for the super quick help and responses. This forum is a tremendous resource.
    Mark
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 06:38 PM
    Just a note for tom.
    Tom, when I lived in Florida I always used a 2" to vent a toilet. for a few reasons this was a good thing. first, it was what dad taught, i did not know why, just obeyed. second, when i started using a suitcase machine on the roof to clear a drain i was ever so grateful to see that 2" vent. Now that I live in the atlanta metro area I have discovered a few things. Up here the roof is higher pitched and rarely does anyone go on the roof, specially to clear a drain. It is simply too steep and too dangerous. Now that the code allows smaller piping for low flow fixtures hardly anyone is putting 'full size' venting in anymore. Heck, you don't even have to have at least a 3" vent anymore. i see in the code where your largest vent could be as small as 2" and your smallest vent can be 1 1/4". and they went so far as to even allow an 1 1/2" drain line and trap for a full size shower now. I think there will be lots of problems with it but some do it anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of waste lines from toilet to main [ 4 Answers ]

I have been told that 3-inch drain from a toilet achieves a better "swirling" action than larger 4-inch pipe, therefore helping to carry away solid wastes better. Is this true ? And if so, how far should I run before opening up to the main 4-inch waste line that exists my concrete slab ? :confused:

Can I move my main stack? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought and older house (My first!) That was built in like 1954, now the bathroom is very small so I'm sort of relocating it. My question is can I move my main stack with 22.5 and 45 degree elbows or am I stuck with it coming up out of the soon to be dinning room floor? NOt sure of...

Connecting second floor waste to main waste stack? [ 3 Answers ]

I have new new modular cape that had the first floor plumbing complete, and the second floor stubbed, and want to know the right way to connect the second floor waste drain which was installed in the house, to the main waste drain. The main waste drain comes up verically from the basement floor...

Waste / Vent Stack Setup [ 4 Answers ]

I've put a 2-story addition on my house, working on the plumbing now. There are 2 full baths in the addition, one on top of the other. To make things complicated, the upstairs toilet & sink are above the downstairs shower, and the upstairs shower are above the downstairs toilet & sink. As...

How do I tie into main vent stack? [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any tricks to put a 3" Tee into the main vent stack to add a lavatory? I don't think I can lift the top part of the stack up or push the bottom part of the stack down once I cut it in half but I think I'll need to seperate it by something like 2" and then push it back together to have...

View more questions Search