Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hans polman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2004, 08:51 AM
    DSO Exploit
    My computer (XP) switched off automatically.
    After running spypot; I found out the computer was infected by DSO Exploit.
    I treid all kind off salutions but without any succes.
    At last I decided to run the recoverydisc.
    During recovery the PC allso keeps switching of.
    Now my PC cannot run XP and allso refuses recoverydisk.
    So the PC is useless.
    What can I do.
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 12, 2004, 04:47 AM
    See PSI42's answer in the 'computer hardware' forum.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 8, 2005, 04:49 PM
    Re:DSO Exploit
    I have been using spybot search and destroy for ages,but each time I kept getting 5 entries for DSO Exploit.Rather than alter the registry myself,as I don't really know what I would be doing,I asked at different forums.It appears that loads of people have the same problem.I was directed to this web address.
    http://KPS.sbn.bz/DSOfix.exe.
    I downloaded the file,and opened it.It altered the registry for me.I then rebooted Windows(XP)and got spybot to scan my system again.It said that my system was clean.So for me,it had worked!!

Also consider going to www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html and installing Fix 1.3.1 TX for Spybot ver.1.3 (latest).After download,just open,and it will install into Spybot automaticaly.Read the article as well.
    Thought this might help.
    xv_raven_vx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2005, 06:05 PM
    I removed DSO-Exploit from my registry by doing the following:

Registry Key:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1614895754-73586283-725345543-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Inte rnet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=

1.) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and Press Enter to open the Windows Registry Editor.

2.) Find the location of the exploit above in the registry by clicking on the pluses(+) next to each title. For example, you will see under your 'Local Machine' section that there is a folder called 'Software' Follow the \'s after clicking on each (+) and expand the folder. (\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Intern et Settings\Zones\)

3.) After opening the Zones section and clicking on '0' look to the right window, under 'name' is the key '1004' and the type is REG_SZ simply right click and delete the key '1004'. Then right click and create new>DWORD Value, name it 1004, then right click on that and go to modify, give it the Hex (Hexadecimal) Value of 3, Click OK.

4.) Close the Registry Editor and Reboot your computer

5.) The DSO Exploit should now be removed and it should no longer appear in the Spybot Search and Destroy log as a problem.

After I did this, spybot was no longer a problem.

If you have any questions or if I lost you, tell me and I will elaborate.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2005, 06:02 AM
    Dso exploit
    Hi,
    The DSO Exploit would not have shut down your computer, all by itself. It is a spyware programs with URL's embedded in the Registry that sends info about your computer to other advertisers websites... it cannot shut down your computer!

You have another problem of some type.
    Try running the XP Recovery CD.

XV RAVEN, volunteer, may have gotten the information from the following link:

http://www.pchell.com/support/dsoexploit.shtml

It has basically the same steps for removing it.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Jan 9, 2005, 03:36 PM
    Agreeing with Fred.
    DSO exploit IS NOT A VIRUS.
    It is an open door in IE, that is still detected by SPYBOT even when MS's fixes are applied.
    Your sudden shut-off is due to something else. A broken fan in your computer, for example.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 10, 2005, 08:30 AM
    More reading on DSO Exploit
    Found more info on DSO Exploit.GreyMagic Software,of Israel,discovered the exploit on 27th Feb.2002.According to them,any app. That hosts the webBrowser control (5+5) is affected.In other words,Internet Explorer,Microsoft Outlook,and Outlook Express.
    Find out more at greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/
    I use Firefox 1.0 as my browser,but apparently there are even rumbles of discontent with this.If I track any info on exploits within it,I will post them on this forum.
    Many thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DSO Exploit [ 6 Answers ]

Since a few month my computer (XP homeedition) switches of power unexpectely. Especially when info is transferred from one to another place. Like editing films, watching DVD etc. After running Spybot I found out the PC is infected with DSO Exploit. I treid allmost everything but the PC kept...

DSO Exploit fix [ 33 Answers ]

Hi, I have had that stupid DSO Exploit until 30 minutes ago. I ran Spybot & have managed to get rid of it by getting into regedit & replacing value in the folder 1004 from 0 to 3 (5 times, that is). However, although they are all gone, I cannot get my Home page to remember my setting. It...

DOS Exploit [ 10 Answers ]

I ran spybot and came up with DOS exploit.  I've tried a few of the tips previous users gave but it is still showing up.  I have the CWShredder but I have no idea what to do with it.  The computer guys at my school installed all these items and didn't explain what they do.  I don't want to do...

View more questions Search