Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    question authority Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2004, 06:01 AM
    Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance
    Hi--

I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2004, 06:47 PM
    Probabally the cheapest thing is to search the net for a good deal on term insurance. Also pick through your mortgage contract and see if you have already paid for it. It is often required.
    jonesy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2005, 01:50 PM
    Same Thing
    Mortgage Protection Insurance is the same thing as decreasing term life insurance. The benefit amount decreases over the term of your mortgage. It's typically cheaper to do this through an insurance company as insurance is their thing and loans is a mortgage company's thing.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 30, 2005, 11:41 AM
    BLUF: Mortgage insurance is a rip-off!

It is generally OVERPRICED and serves to protect the mortgage company, NOT the homeowner.

With what you pay in premiums for mortgage insurance, you could get decreasing term insurance for 3-to-5 times the coverage amount.

You can use NetQuote noted below Cyberbjorne, or call your independent insurance agent to get good term life insurance.
    plyinsmn Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

May 24, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by question authority
    Hi--

I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach???
    Mortgage insurance is term life insurance. Same thing. Some companies chare more for this insurance bwecause they issue it w/o a medical exam
    plyinsmn Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

May 24, 2007, 04:38 PM
    The tax expert doesn't know what he is talking about. Reducing term is the bigggest fraud in the insurance industry. Mortgage insurance is term insurance . It was given the name by the company in order for the pulic to know what their buying. The rates are the same and the coverage doesn't go down. If you kick the bucket your wifew will need more that what is left in the life insurance. Taxes, Repairs, for example. Buy term invest the rest. There is mortgage term insurance that will return all your premium if you don't kick the bucket for the term of the policy.
    rnmartinez Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jun 14, 2007, 12:03 PM
    I think a very important part of this is missing - with mortgage life insurance, the lending institution rarely asks any medical questions, but at the same time they require full disclosure of your medical history. If you were to pass away, then they would want medical information, and could potentially deny your claim. Any life insurance that does not require detailed medical information can be a crapshoot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance help [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone could help me with some answers. I have insurance threw work and I got into a bad accident I then lost my job and took cobra to keep up the insurance. Well since then I was told that the place I worked for is changing insurance and I would also have to. So I did and...

Bankruptcy and life insurance [ 5 Answers ]

I know it is a weird combo. But if you claim corporate bankruptcy and you die can they go after your personal estate? If you have signed a personal guaranty? I heard they have to leave you(if not deceased) or your estate your house and a vehicle(in fla) is this true? Last question. Can they take...

Life Insurance Trustee [ 0 Answers ]

My brother recently died and left my father as the trustee for his life insurance with his only child as the beneficiary. My father is 72 years old and the child is 15. My father wants me to handle the trust monies for him because of his age, he doesn't want the hassle. There is no will. Is there...

Variable universal life insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking into variable universal life insurance with Pacific Life. What are the problems with this kind of insurance and what are the benefits?

View more questions Search