Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 22, 2012, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I think txcableguy is right here. The link that califdad posted seems to refer to official residency as establishing oneself as a citizen of TX. This is for the purpose of things like qualifying for state schools.

But the link the OP posted is specific to divorce law.

Be that as it may, tour stepson needs to decide whether he wants to save his marriage or not. If he doesn't then he needs to file as soon as he is able.
    We are mixing numbers here. In my original statement I had said 6 months. In the statement that was quoted as to "permanent resident" that would be 1 years time.

The information given by this site is accurate as always.

Originally Posted by txcableguy
    Yes, still married. They have lived in TX for 4 months,. I think you have to live in TX for 6 months to be considered permanent resident in order to file, right?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 22, 2012, 06:11 PM
    I think txcableguy is right here. The link that califdad posted seems to refer to official residency as establishing oneself as a citizen of TX. This is for the purpose of things like qualifying for state schools.

But the link the OP posted is specific to divorce law.

Be that as it may, tour stepson needs to decide whether he wants to save his marriage or not. If he doesn't then he needs to file as soon as he is able.
    Although it does appear that they have to be domiciled in Texas for at least six months before he can file for divorce, that doesn't prevent him from filing for "possession" (Not my choice of words, but rather the term used in the Texas statute -- Go figure. ) of the children, in the mean time.
    txcableguy Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 06:53 PM
    Tickle, Obviously they Didn't know! BTW, thank you Scott Gem! He does not want to save the marriage, he does NOT want to loose his kids though and seems like he does not have the rights to do much since they have only been here 4 months. Thank you for your info Scott.
    txcableguy Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Thank you AK Lawyer!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2012, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txcableguy View Post
    Tickle, Obviously they DIDNT know! BTW, thank you Scott Gem! He does not want to save the marriage, he does NOT want to loose his kids though and seems like he does not have the rights to do much since they have only been here 4 months. Thank you for your info Scott.
    Given what AK said, he should immediately file for "possession" of the children.
    Internet Research Expert

May 23, 2012, 04:09 AM
    Given what AK said, he should immediately file for "possession" of the children.
    Im not sure they can at this time as there has been no separation inside the marriage. They are still married and nothing has been filed. Even with such an award the mother if staying in the relationship doesn't change a thing.

With the exception of restraining orders, most filings are reactive and not proactive.
    Internet Research Expert

May 23, 2012, 04:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txcableguy View Post
    Tickle, Obviously they DIDNT know! BTW, thank you Scott Gem! He does not want to save the marriage, he does NOT want to loose his kids though and seems like he does not have the rights to do much since they have only been here 4 months. Thank you for your info Scott.
    Your making a misstatement here. There is a difference from being a permanent resident and having the ability to file in a court. They are separate events. The latter being tied to Federal Law. The former being tied to state law.

You were given correct answers for both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a mother send a child on a plane without fathers consent? [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter is seventeen years old and wants to fly to Florida to visit her sister. I have said no, but her mother said she's buying the ticket and sending her anyway. Our divorce paper states that she has to have my permission to leave the state, so what can I do if she sends her? I know she would...

How do I get my sons biological fathers rights terminated w/o his consent [ 6 Answers ]

He is 15,000 in debt for support only calls once or twice a yr and decides he wants to be a father then he is an alcoholic,drug user has been charged many times for dui and drug poss. I have offered to drop support and he refuses we live in the state of Pennsylvania

Can I be legitamized with out consent of the mother of my children? [ 5 Answers ]

Can I be legitamized with out consent of the mother of my children? She has taking me to court I pay child support have no visitation and I'm not legitamized.

Fathers rights when mother leaves child with father? [ 1 Answers ]

My son and his partner had a argument as she cannot handle alcohol,she gets nasty and aggressive,on one occasion just before xmas she smashed up his house including his t.v. that passed he took her out sat she started again then she had to take the baby they have 3 children one of those he took on...

Can mother take child from country without fathers consent [ 1 Answers ]

Couple have been married for 2 years and have a child inbritian. Mother is from the fillipines and father is british- have decided to split and mother is threatening to take child back to fillopines, can she take the child out of Britain without the fathers consent? Please Help!

View more questions Search