Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shannonlnicholl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2012, 08:35 PM
    My water heater has no power to bottom element but the wire does wire
    There is power to the wires on the top and bottom of the water heater. There is power to the element on the top. No power to bottom element. The reset button does not click. There is no hot water... the breaker switch is not tripped and the water heater is new... help!

[email protected]
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 20, 2012, 09:06 PM
    Assuming a standard 240V two element water heater. Power is provided through the thermal over load (reset button) to the top thermostat and then to top element. No power is provide to the bottom thermostat and bottom element until the top thermostat is satisfied (switches off). Therefore the bottom element doesn't come on until the top element has heated the water in the top of the tank up to temperature.

Since you have power to the top element, the top thermostat must be good. Since you don't have any hot water, the top element must be defective (burned out). Replace top element. If top element were good you would have some hot water, not as much as you would like, but some.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Before you switch out a part on this new heater you need to check the continuity of the element so that you do not change a good element and still have the same problem. Here is a wiring diagram to help you: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Wate...r_Electric.pdf
    When testing the elements with an ohm meter you could read from 15-30 ohms or even a little higher depending on wattage. The thermostats should read zero ohms across contacts. As the manual shows, you can move one wire and make the elements work together, or if wired as shown they work one at the time. Actually, when wired to work simultaneously when you use water the bottom element will come on and heat the water; it seems to work better that way. Never change parts without testing with a meter. When testing using a meter in "Ohms" mode turn off power; when testing in voltage mode the power must be on. Always test with volt meter first to make sure you have no power then go to ohms and touch leads together to make sure it is working. Here is a manual to show you how to use the meter: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Whir...e%20Manual.pdf
    You can buy a good digital meter at a builder's supply or Radio Shack.
    thermotimbo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2013, 06:24 PM
    If your top heater is too high and it never reaches the set temp, it will not kick on power to the bottom. I used a voltage tester and put it on the bottom element, turned the top temperature down every so slowly until I got power sent to the bottom element. Works like a charm now!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater: Should may bottom element be getting only 120volts? [ 1 Answers ]

Was getting very little hot water out my dual element 240volt WH... drained it, clean out sentiment, inspected elements I had put in a year ago - OK. When refilled & plugged in I put a tester on the elements & noticed only 120 volts on bottom element. Is this normal or should the bottom element be...

Burnt red wire to the heating element to hot water heater. (electric). [ 2 Answers ]

Burnt red wire to the heating element. Cover has been off after I replaced the heating element 18 months ago. I did have this problem about two months ago when it appeared that the red and black wire touched each other . There was the burnt smell and melting. I cut off the burnt parts and...

I have a switch with power to it and wire going to a light,a wire going to outlets [ 3 Answers ]

I have a switch box with power to it and wire going to a light to the left out of the switch box and a wire going to outlets to the right out of the switch box. How do I wire the switch to make both the light and the outlets work properly?

How to wire a water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I am wiring a water heater that has 240v with 10/2 wire to it. The water heater has a black and red wires coming out of it How doi hook it up

Fuse wire cannot be used as a heating element in a heater? [ 1 Answers ]

A fuse wire cannot be used as a heating element in a heater ?

View more questions Search