Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daviddodaro Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
    Ac condenser over heating
    I have a rheem unit I replaced the condenser motor and it is over heating then shuts done the old motor had 3wires coming from the motor brown black and orange the new motor had 4 wires 2 browns go to capasitor purple became come tied that to brown and black to black and I just tied of the orange it get kick on just fine blows cold air then motor get hot and shuts down don't want to blow motor
    Frank Mangrum Posts: 86, Reputation: -3

May 20, 2012, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddodaro View Post
    I have a rheem unit I replaced the condenser motor and it is over heating then shuts done the old motor had 3wires coming from the motor brown black and orange the new motor had 4 wires 2 browns go to capasitor purple became come tied that to brown and black to black and I just tied of the orange it get kick on just fine blows cold air then motor get hot and shuts down don't want to blow motor
    You have wired your new motor incorrectly. The motor lead you will not use is the brown with white trace marks--cap this wire either with wire nut or electrical tape. Connect solid brown wire to capacitor (FAN) terminal--- then connect purple wire where old motors orange wire was connected--- then connect black to black.
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

May 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
    He is right on about the rewire

In the future and for all who read this going forward:

stop the 3 wire madness when re-doing condenser fan motors.

Just go to 4 wires - it is so easy and motors like it so much more

Br - br/wht to new cap

Purp and blk to load side of contactor or one to contactor and one to relay on defrost board if a heat pump

Just leave the dual run capacitor in place and it now just powers the compressor.

more better and thats how its done in the field
    Frank Mangrum Posts: 86, Reputation: -3

May 21, 2012, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thermalmedics View Post
    he is right on about the rewire

in the future and for all who read this going forward:

stop the 3 wire madness when re-doing condenser fan motors.

just go to 4 wires - it is so easy and motors like it so much more

br - br/wht to new cap

purp and blk to load side of contactor or one to contactor and one to relay on defrost board if a heat pump

just leave the dual run capacitor in place and it now just powers the compressor.

more better and thats how its done in the field
    When working in the field we should be "more better". One should strive to keep customers equipment original as possible for a couple reasons: Wires match OEM wiring diagrams--and where do you put this now extra capicitor in a tight control box --Remember voltages (Back EMF) at this extra capacitor terminals can be 370 to 440 volts while motor is running. "4 wire---Motors like it so much more"-- I don't understand?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace 1/4 hp condenser motor with multi hp AO Smith motor and Condenser [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my Payne 1/4 hp condenser motor with an A.O. Smith multi HP motor. I'm also replacing the capacitor (a round three prong piece) with an oval (two prong piece). In looking at the wiring diagram I'm supposed to connect the wires as follows: the two brown wires to the capacitor,...

Replacing contactor on heating/air condenser [ 6 Answers ]

My outside heating/air unit will not turn on . I opened the panel and if I push this little spring loaded thing it contacts with a small circular object and the unit kicks on, when I release it turns off. It's a brand new unit, about 5 or 6 months old. Can I fix the problem myself. Repair guy can't...

Heating and Air conditioning condenser fan will not start [ 4 Answers ]

After installing new capacitor, new contactor and new time delay switch on split system ac the condenser fan still will not start. What should I check next?

Replacing A/C - condenser or heat pump/condenser [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a condo. All of the units in the building need to new air conditioners because they are all old and will not survive a scheduled reroofing of the building. The association got a bid for a company that will put in a new condenser unit for anyone who wants one - it is about $1500 installed....

Condenser runs while heating [ 1 Answers ]

When operating my furnace in the heat mode the air conditioner condenser unit runs. I assume this should not be. What is wrong with my system. This is in a new house - first cold weather experienced.

View more questions Search