Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrssjennjenn Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2004, 11:47 AM
    Windows 98 SE Help
    I have a computer that a friend gave to me. We don't have any of the disc to go with it. It is running windows 98 SE. I would like to take everything out and just start over. Can someone tell me what to do? Thanks!
    James J. Johnson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2004, 07:50 PM
    Start Over?
    It depends on what you mean by "start over." Do you want to continue with Win98SE? If so, it's in the Windows file. Don't delete that but delete everything in the folders above it. Where that's not allowed, Windows will stop you from deleting that particular file. Some files will be regenerated even though deleted as you run programs that require them.

To be safe, you might consider saving folders to a removable media before you delete them so they can be restored if needed.

If you intend to install the latest version of Windows, that comes with directions for you to follow.

Dec 11, 2004, 07:43 AM
    More on Windows
    Well, what do you think I should do. The computer is running windows 98 se but I don't have any of the software that came with the computer. I do have another windows 98 SE disc that someone gave me. Do you think it would be best to leave that windows in it or should I take it out along with everything else and put the windows in that I have on it? They are both windows 98 SE. Thanks for your help! This has really been bugging me!
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 11, 2004, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrssjennjenn
    Well, what do you think I should do. The computer is running windows 98 se but I don't have any of the software that came with the computer. I do have another windows 98 SE disc that someone gave me. Do you think it would be best to leave that windows in it or should I take it out along with everything else and put the windows in that I have on it? They are both windows 98 SE. Thanks for your help!! This has really been bugging me!
    I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Can you elaborate a bit? Why do you want to "start over" ?

Dec 12, 2004, 08:18 AM
    Starting Over
    The computer that my friend gave me has all the stuff on it that the person had on it before she got it. So, I want to wipe everything out and start over. It has someone else's user id, programs, passwords etc. All I want on the computer is the Windows 98 SE and then I can add the programs I want on it. I don't have any of the disc to go with the computer. I do have a win 98se disc but not the one to go with that computer. I'm not sure if that matters or not. What do you think I should do? I remember I used my systerm recovery disc with my computer and took everything out and started over but I'm not sure how to do that with this one because I have now software that is on it or a recovery disc or anything. Can you help me?
    Thanks!
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Dec 12, 2004, 08:35 AM
    A Windows 98SE CD is not personalized for a specific computer, so you should be able to install Windows from that one. Of course, you must be the legal owner of that CD and its licence.
    You must boot from a startup disk (aka "emergency" disk), format your harddisk ("FORMAT C:") with it and then install Windows from the 'setup' on the CD.
    If you have no emergency or startup disk, you can download one from:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    Note: FORMAT C: is sufficient, although you may want to use it with the parameters:
    FORMAT C:/U
    (unconditional format)
    (unconditional format is not supported in later than WIN98(SE) versions).
    Or
    FORMAT C:/S
    (to transfer the system files - although WIN98 setup will do it anyhow)
    Or both:
    FORMAT C:/U/S

Dec 12, 2004, 11:58 AM
    Make sure your win98 disc is a real windows install disc, not a "recovery" disk that was built specifically for your other computer.

If it is a "recovery" disc, it is probably designed to refuse to work with a computer of a dissimilar motherboard model or not assembled by the same company.

~psi42
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2004, 01:27 PM
    There is a FREE manual that explains the entire format/reinstall process that even explains how to reload Windows 98 from the .cab files so that you can install Windows without the use of a Windows CD. (I know... providing that the hard drive has the .cab files installed) Most of the time, this is true.

You may find the free manual by clicking on the link below and clicking on "Products" and then "Free Downloads".

Dec 12, 2004, 02:07 PM
    To summarize, and to avoid confusion:
    Reinstalling WIN98 from the .CAB files on the harddive will not wipe out everything - which was asked. So this is not the procedure to follow.
    A recovery disk works only with the computer it was delivered with, that is clear. Nobody said that this recovery disk should be used.
    A WIN98 CD is universal and can be used on any computer that has the minimum requirements - with a boot diskette of course.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2004, 03:41 PM
    I obviously misread the question the first time. However, the .CAB installation information is still very useful though... even if not for this exact situation. For being FREE, it will prove very useful at some time or another if you are using Windows 98 or Windows ME.

Dec 18, 2004, 09:03 AM
    I'm stuck can someone help
    I made a boot disk and formatted drive c and now I don't know what to do. When the computer came back on it told me a bunch of info and now on the screen is the A:\> Can someone tell me what to do next? Thanks so much!!

Dec 18, 2004, 01:03 PM
    When you boot from your boot floppy, you should see something more or less similar to the following:

Code:
    MSCDEX ..................... PowerIDE CDROM device driver
    Your CDROM drive letter is [a letter]
    Note the drive letter it gives you. Let's assume it's E:

Then you can type

Code:
    A:\> E:
    E:\> setup
    That _should_ start the install process. But it's been a long time since I installed win98, so my memory could be hazy.

~psi42

Dec 18, 2004, 01:52 PM
    Thanks!
    Thanks so much. You just made my day! This is a Christmas gift for my father n law. :)

Dec 18, 2004, 06:25 PM
    Glad to be of help. :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2004, 06:01 AM
    Win98SE help
    HI,
    My suggestions are:
    Go to My Documents; then delete everything there. You can delete stuff by Right clicking on it, then left click on Delete. You can delete folders, or delete individual files.
    This will clear out the My Documents files, if you want to.
    Also, do the same thing with any other files, that were created by the former user.
    That would answer your question; as to how to do away with stuff by the former user.
    Now, to the Win98SE system files themselves. IF you are going to do a Format the hard drive, then forget about all that follows. IF you wish to try all the steps below, they will restore your computer to a good operating system. I also use Win98SE cause I like it over 2000 and XP.

Registry Repair should be done whenever there are problems:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

Win98/98SE Regular Maintenance
    All of these should be run whenever Win98/98SE starts giving problems. It will keep the computer running smoothly.

Before doing any of the following; turn off wallpaper and screensavers before re-starting or re-booting the computer.

Safe Mode is best where indicated, because most programs are not running meaning their files are closed, or not in use. This allows them to be scanned much better, repaired, or defragged better.

1. Scandisk
    Start in Safe Mode by:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter
    After it boots to Safe Mode, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on Scandisk.
    (It is faster if set on "Standard", the "Thorough" usually is not needed and takes a long, long time).
    Click on "Start" and let it run until finished.

2. Defrag
    When Scandisk is finished, click on "Close".
    Now, go back to the same place, but this time, click on "Defrag".
    Click on OK, and wait until it finishes (might take 1 hour if not done within a month).
    After it finishes, Click on OK or whatever.
    Then, re-boot.

The following Boot Disk has to be done only one time.

Also, a "must have" is a Boot Disk, for Win98/98SE. One never knows when the computer might not load windows and go to the desktop... it does happen.

Here are steps to make one:

Insert the Win98/98SE CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    Go to Start/Programs/Windows Explorer
    Double click on D:/ , if that is your CD-ROM drive letter.
    Find and open the folder; Tools/Mtsutil/Fat32ebd (stands for Emergency Boot Disk)
    Double click on the file Fat32ebd.exe and follow the instructions to create the Boot Disk.
    Then remove the CD from the CD-ROM.

Now, we must test the Boot Disk to see if it works.
    Shut down the computer; then turn it back on with the Boot Disk still in the computer.
    When a screen comes up, use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to select "Boot with CD-ROM support". Then press Enter.
    It will show some things about the computer, and then come up to the A:> prompt.
    Now, insert a CD (any will do) into the CD-ROM.
    Wait until it "spins" and the light goes off.
    Now, at the A:> prompt, type in DIR D:
    It will now look like A:>DIR D:
    It should show all the files on the CD.
    If so, the Boot Disk is good. If NOT, repeat all the above.
    If it's good, then remove the CD, manually turn off the computer, and remove the Boot Disk. Turn on the computer and it's ready to go.

Here are some "tweaks" for Win98/98SE that really work well.

Win98SE Tweaks for better performance
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=170

To extract files: here are steps:
    Extract the following from c/cabs/cab53 and cab54.
    (Right click on a Cab, then left click on View).
    To extract a file then seen, Right click on the file,
    Then Left click on Extract.
    Vcomm.vxd
    Vdmad.vxd
    Configmg.vxd
    Vdd.vxd
    Vmouse.vxd
    Ntkern.vxd
    Vflat.vxd
    Extract to:
    c/windows/system; and also to:
    c/windows/system/vmm32.

Win98SE USB Updates:
    http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

Also, for Win98/98SE; any ONE of the following programs WILL, normally, cause problems:
    1. Microsoft's DirectX 9.0c
    2. Sun Java; any versions, such as j2re 1.4.1 or 1.4.2. (use the Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, under the heading "Java VM", the only check mark should be by "JIT compiler for virtual machine.....".
    3. Microsoft's Internet Explorer & Outlook Express Cumulative Security Patches from Windows Update.

I realize that all the above is a lot of stuff, but that's what it takes to keep Win98/98SE running smoothly.
    Merry Christmas,
    fredg

Dec 19, 2004, 04:38 PM
    Hey, Fred, I understood that this problem was fixed by now.
    The asker wanted to start from scratch, so no long procedures were required here.
    BTW: quite a job you did, very nice work.

Dec 19, 2004, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrssjennjenn
    This is a Christmas gift for my father n law. :)
    Sounds like a good idea. :)

As a suggestion, you might consider including some of the software on The Open CD. It's all excellent, very useful stuff.

:)

~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Windows updates for Windows ME [ 16 Answers ]

For months now I can't get windows updates for Windows ME. I just get 'can't find server'. Neither Microsoft nor BT. Can help me. I've tried everything I can think of. I have a BT.Yahoo browser and I.Explorer 6. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows 98 se [ 6 Answers ]

My windows 98se was corrupted. So I reinstalled it. My old programs are working. But those programs are not showing in the new add/remove programs list - to unstall it or see what are all they. Plese tell me how to see those ones in this add/remove programs.

Windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about Windows XP. I'm wondering if I have to update all my software/hardware if I install windows XP. My present version is windows 98 Second Edition. My software/hardware includes OmniPage Pro 9, Epson 1660 photo scanner, a Samsung web camera, a Samsung printer, Sound...

View more questions Search