Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MRSP517 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2012, 08:21 AM
    Bank garnishment Florida
    When your bank account is frozen or garnishment has been issued by a debt attorney can they take every dime that is in the account for legal fees, etc. Leaving nothing in the account
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2012, 08:59 AM
    NO,

When an account if frozen and latter garnished, they can take out only the amount listed in the garnishment.

AT the hearing for the judgement the amount of money they get is set there. There will be court fees, legal fees and collection fees added. They also may get interest.

So no, they do not take "all the money the lawyers want" they may take all of the money if there is not enough in the account to cover the entire garnishment.

A good example is a credit card bill, if you owe 1000 dollars and don't pay, by time ti goes to court, with late fees, and interest, normally it may be 2000 or even 3000 due. Then attorneys will add on 2000 or 3000 dollars, perhaps 300 to 500 in court costs.

So that 1000 dollar credit card bill may be 4000 to 6000 by time the judgement is entered.
    Esp if you don't show up to argue the figures or fight it.
    MRSP517 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2012, 09:11 AM
    The garnishment was for 14000.00. They blocked 4 accounts, but there was only about 250 total in accounts.

With legal fees on all 4 accounts it put the accounts overdrawn.

They got everything that was in all the accounts.

I was told at one time, they could not take every dime in the accounts, but I guess they did.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
    No, they can take every penny and the bank accounts will be frozen, if you add more money into those account, direct deposits, they will also get that money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank garnishment in Florida? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, wow I just read that last conversation. I would like to ask about my garnishment, hopefully it will be smoother than the last one. Two days ago I found my checking and CD account frozen due to garnishment from a credit card debt. I did extensive research. I was told by the...

Bank garnishment in Florida of SSDI direct deposit? [ 3 Answers ]

A Florida bank held for a couple of days then took my SSDI direct deposit to pay internal bank fees.Is this legal

My rights on a bank garnishment in Florida [ 11 Answers ]

Im a 57 year old male, have been disable since 2004 my daughter gets ssi and i get ssi do to my mental and heart problems before this i was a normal individual that had credit cards and had all the credit i could have , got seek and i could not pay or pay for bankcropcy' this month of december i...

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Stopping a bank garnishment in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me how to stop a garnishment Thanks Billy tide My phone number is 352 256 4840

View more questions Search