Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2012, 03:58 PM
    No Ex there is no reason at all to regulate against the possibility of making a bad bet.
    You could see from a thousand miles away that Facebook was selling nothing .

What I want to understand is why Jerry Brown was so stupid as to think this IPO was going to bail out his sorry State .
    Facebook IPO Could Mean up to $2.1B for Calif. - ABC News

Now maybe he can go back to making the hard decisions to reign in out of control spending by a state beholden to the states public unions.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

I think we need some financial regulation, don't you?

excon
    I think I have been saying that for a long time but Ex with all that corruption around you need somethong more, you need a good cleanout of the banking, hedging and stock market industries. Its still the same people who gave you the GFC they haven't changed.

You remember the definition of madness don't you? Keep doing the same things and expect things to change, well it works the same with people, keep employing the same people and expect things to change?
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2012, 02:15 AM
    What is madness is this belief in"too big to fail . Facebook got so big that it's IPO was too big to fail . JPM is too big to fail so everyone goes into a panic when they make some losing trades (even though if the lost a couple $ billion ,others gained a couple $billion) .

Moral hazard... When there isn't this notion that big daddy government isn't there to pull your butt out of the fire every time there is a loss ,then reckless moves will be minimized.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2012, 02:21 AM
    Tom Farcebook will fail because it is a whim the kids think it is great until the next thing comes along but the internet revenue is based on click through and the kids just click on each other. I have used farcebook and it is a very poor imitation of reality, of SMS even, and just recently the big ego of Farcebook decided to wipe out all the existing pages so participants could recreate them, a marvelous piece of marketing no doubt conceived in a haze
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2012, 02:49 AM
    Facebook provides a service .But it can't figure out how to monitize the serivice. The participants would abandon it if they tried to set up a fee for service. The recent move by GM illustrates your point ,that the participants ignore the advertising ;and the participants go into snits when they find out that FB wants to share their info for marketing purposes.

This IPO was a quick fix for the principals to get rich ,
    The investor class should 've seen this coming since it is just a repeat of the late 1990s tech stock bubble .

So what are we going to do then... outlaw IPOs ? I think part of the reason that the economy has been so sluggish is because there haven't been enough IPO's . Instead ,new companies remain private until they can convince Google to buy them out. An IPO makes these startups think long term.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 27, 2012, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    So what are we going to do then ....outlaw IPOs ?
    Hello tom:

IPO's are fine... Crooked IPO's aren't.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2012, 05:01 AM
    Facebook provides a service .But it can't figure out how to monitize the serivice. The participants would abandon it if they tried to set up a fee for service. The recent move by GM illustrates your point ,that the participants ignore the advertising ;and the participants go into snits when they find out that FB wants to share their info for marketting purposes.

This IPO was a quick fix for the principals to get rich ,
    The investor class should 've seen this coming since it is just a repeat of the late 1990s tech stock bubble .

So what are we going to do then ....outlaw IPOs ? I think part of the reason that the economy has been so sluggish is because there haven't been enough IPO's . Instead ,new companies remain private until they can convince Google to buy them out. An IPO makes these startups think long term.
    Tom you have to understand the service it is a reinvention of the net and email appealing to those who want to be in constant contact with someoneelse. It has little advertising value unless you are on the exact wavelength of the particular poster.

The IPO should have had a much lower value based on recent revenue forecasts but the essential information was withheld from all but a few, this constitutes insider trading so lets's not have an over reaction but a suggestion that the regulator GOYA and be proactive
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2012, 12:51 PM
    If there was insider trading then laws already in place cover it. But who's to say that those who buy and hold won't be the winners in the end... you can't and I can't .

The finger pointing to corruption are specuation at best ;and again ,the laws on the books already cover it.

Investors win and lose every day in the market . Regulate against that and you will destroy the market.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Yes Tom investor win and lose but the idea that a few should win while the rest lose is the question. In this case this indicates conspiracy and as you say laws cover this contingency but it will be someone with big losses who will initiate the case, the little people can't afford to.

As to winners in the long run, remember the tech bubble, where are those winners now? Probably burned by the Zuck
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
    The tech bubble was what was called irrational exuberance. That ;as Fr Chuck points out is easily as old as the Dutch tulip trades ;and in fact as old as when Thales of Miletus cornered the market in olive-oil presses.

If the market was was rigged as you think it is then no one would play in it . Geeze you think everyone is an idiot waiting for their sheering like sheep !
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
    . Geeze you think everyone is an idiot waiting for their sheering like sheep !
    No Tom they are just waiting to be Zucked or is that Zuckered.

There are a lot of problems in the market Tom caused by irrational behaviour and perhaps false information. For example I have a stock which has strong local and offshore investments in energy today it stands at 25% of its value a few months ago, the market has fallen 10% and no adverse reports have been made, I have another which is a developer of medical products despite several announcements of new and innovative products its value remains static and yet you say we should tolerate a straight out scam. I find that incomprehensible
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2012, 01:36 AM
    If you don't trust your stocks then get out. Many people did after the flash crash and have not returned. Oh they trust the biggest con artist of them all instead... the US government and they invest in little valued US bonds. The government fleeces them everyday with manipulations and not a word is said about corruption or rigging the market.
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Tom you cannot talk about rigging the market and then say there should be no regulation a properly regulated market cannot be rigged by the government either

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Facebook [ 2 Answers ]

Facebook Errors Top Left corner icons Friends, Notifications & Comments won't open... bottom left just shows error. I clicked on error and it says "Toggler is not defined" !function(){if(window.__primer)return;... ootstrap(c,d);});return false;}};}(); Any thoughts?

Should I use Facebook ? [ 1 Answers ]

ASALAM-U-ALIKUM as we all know that Facebook has disgraced islam and our prophet MUHAMMAD (peace be upon him) by organizing an event called (NAUZOBILLA) 'draw MUHAMMAD',in reaction our government banned this site for some time.now they have removed those pages from their web site and now everybody...

Facebook [ 3 Answers ]

Why my Facebook cannot log in?

Facebook [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to logon I put in my password. A statement says I can't get in due to Abusive behavor.. this is crazy... I'm a senior citizen and a goal to connect to friends And former employees... every time I fell in that test where you copy the letters, it Still doesn't work. I'm so...

View more questions Search