Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mohd_alfa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 02:01 AM
    Inter Vlan Using Layer 3 Switch
    I am a network administrator, I have a three Cisco layer2 switches and 2 vlan assigned in the switches I use to inter vlan between them using my firewall but now I have a new layer 3 foundry switch and I have to use it to inter VLAN between the vlan in the other cisco switches, I was searching in the internet for a long time but I fail to answer this problem if you can help please do…
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 25, 2007, 04:48 AM
    What's you're asking for is not in the least bit unusual and is done as a standard business practice throughout many Enterprises. You can do what you want in a couple of different ways.

1) Establish a trunk (802.1q) between the foundry L3 and each of the Cisco L2 switches and carry the VLANs that belong to each of the switches on their respected trunks. Then assign the IP's that used to belong to the firewall on your Foundry switch to each of the newly created VLANs. i.e. make the L3 termination point the Foundry VLANs.

2) If your Cisco' switches can't handle 802.1q (i.e. they're really old) then for each of the VLANs on your Cisco L2 switch establish a physical link to your Foundry L3. Assign each of the interfaces on your Cisco one of the VLANs that you want routed and then assign the matching Foundry physical interface the IP that used to be the default gateway (i.e. what was assigned to the firewall). i.e. make the L3 termination point the Foundry physical interfaces.

3) If you have the same 2 VLANs (say VLAN 100, 200) defined on both of your Cisco switches AND you can't do 802.1q then establish two physical connections from your Foundry to each of your Cisco switches, create VLANs (100, 200) on your foundry and place the Foundry interface that belongs to VLAN 100 from each switch to VLAN 100 on the Foundry. Do the same for the other interface. Then assign the IP that used to belong to the firewall to each of the newly created VLANs on the foundry.

I think you should be able to do step #1 if your Cisco and Foundry switches are capable of supporting 802.1Q. What model number and firmware do your Cisco switches and Foundry's have?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I layer my own hair? [ 5 Answers ]

I have dead straight hair. It looks really boring, I wanted to know if it is possible to layer my own hair. Do I have to go to a hair salon to get it layered? If I can do it myself, how do I layer my hair?:confused:

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

Layer cutting hair [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Please give instructions on layer cutting hair. Thanks!

15,000 layer digital painting [ 3 Answers ]

Check this out. Absolutely incredible!: Don't look too quick... this is NOT a photograph. http://www.bertmonroy.com/fineart/text/fineart_damen.htm (be patient, it'll load slow) Be sure to scroll down to see the zooms.

Can't display layer in internet explorer [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to display a logo (color white, background transparent, png format) as a layer over a graphic in a web page. I have tried one hundred things and can't get it to work. Note: display in Mozilla Firefox is perfect. White logo does not show up in Internet explorer. Currently trying...

View more questions Search