Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frenchy_1951 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2004, 08:42 AM
    Lack of sleep
    When I went to Alcoholics anonymous, they always said "nobody ever died from lack of sleep" many years later, I don't drink anymore, but my medical insurance won't pay for Xanax or Clonazapan (sleep inducers) because its not a life threatening illness
    Aylin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2005, 01:41 AM
    Try taking melatonin, it's a natural sleep enhancer that's not addictive it's not that expensive and you have a less likelihood of getting addicted to it because it just releases a natural sleep aid your body already produces. I’m fairly young but I take it once and a while traveling (for jet lag) or on nights when I’m not sleeping because of something that happened.
    flipz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2005, 08:31 PM
    Hey
    You shouldn't take xanax and clonopin/clorolazaplam or any of the benzos for sleeping. They're more from panic attacks and excessive anxiety. You could buy over the counter sleeping pills from tylonal and tons of brand which work and will get you in the habit of falling asleep easily. If you only want to take medications I suggest an actual sleeping pill like ambien, sonota, or one similar. Ask your doctor if those will be covered under insurance. Good luck.

Jason
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 10, 2005, 04:46 PM
    Skip the pills
    Instead of medication try forcing your body into a natural sleep pattern. Go to bed at the same time and get up at the same time. Every day, 7 days a week.
    Also avoid exercise, alcohol, spicey foods, etc. for at least 2 hours (3 is better) before retiring. Note that "spicey" foods varies from person to person. Determine by experimenting what effects you.
    If your mind is racing try some relaxing music or light reading to calm it down. TV probably isn't the best pre-bed time activity.

Good luck.
    WhenWillIBeLoved Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Feb 13, 2005, 01:50 PM
    Suggestions
    When I went to Alcoholics anonymous, they always said "nobody ever died from lack of sleep" many years later, I don't drink anymore, but my medical insurance won't pay for Xanax or Clonazapan (sleep inducers) because its not a life threatening illness
    I have had problems sleeping for years, so I empathize with you. I have suffered from hypersomnia (sleeping too much) and insomnia (lack of sleep). Neither are healthy. Sleep affects your emotional and physical well-being; it affects your functionality and productivity. Insomnia is also linked to mental illness, especially depression. I have major depressive disorder. Insomnia can be a symptom of a major underlying condition. You should seek advice from a health care professional. My doctor prescribed me Trazodone. It is a cyclic antidepressant that is ancient. It is non-habit forming. It has been a godsend in my life. It is also affordable; a 30 day supply runs around 11 (American) dollars. I have also had success with OTC medicines, such as Tylenol Simply Sleep. Other recommendations for sleep include the following: relaxing ambience at nighttime (e.g. dim lighting, humidifier); establish a consistent sleep cycle 7 days a week; make sleep a priority and avoid the temptation to stay up late; no television within one hour of sleep (too stimulating), warm bath; avoid daytime naps; use bed only for sleep and intimacy (no paperwork); exercise regularly (but not within two hours of bedtime).

Some good foods for inducing sleep (high in tryptophan): milk, bananas, cereal with milk, plain baked potato, tuna, eggs, and "Horlick's Hot Malted Milk."

Bad Foods: caffeine (coffee, black tea, chocolate, many sodas), refined sweets, excessive salt, alcohol, tobacco, MSG, chemical additives that increase heart rate, tyramine-containing (sauerkraut, wine, pork, eggplant, spinach, tomatoes), and overeating.
    always_learning Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2005, 06:09 PM
    Sleep Deprivation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy_1951
    I noticed this infomercial whilst reading your post. Maybe it's a happy co-incidence for you. Hope the following link helps.

http://www.sleepreview.com/?s=21&w=101858&p=2&sb=1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lack of Comumication [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I are high school sweethearts and have been together for ten years and married for four of those years. When my husband and I started dating we would stay up all night talking on the phone and now we talk but then we fight. We can not carry on a conversation without one of us getting...

Lack of Hot Water [ 4 Answers ]

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I've been having. In March, I purchased an older home (built in the 40's). As a condition of purchase, I asked that the water heater be replaced, which was very old and completely shot. The former owners purchased a 50 gallon Kenmore PowerMiser. The...

Lack of Return Air [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 1/2 story house with only 1 return air duct. It is located at the end of the house, downstairs. With no place for the warm air to go, the upstairs stays 6-8 degrees hotter than downstairs. What can I do to get more uniform cool air distribution? Thanks

10month 3 week baby - lack of sleep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month 3 weeks baby boy - who is a wee dream, he is so good natured and content. We have one small problem... sleeping. He will not sleep through the night. He is still sharing our bedroom but is moving in the next month or so to his own room. I have no problem getting him to sleep...

View more questions Search