Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

May 16, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Must enter password twice to open Excel file
    When an Excel file is password protected I have to enter the password twice to open it. Then first time, the file becomes viewable in the documents preview screen. The second time it opens in Excel.

Computer is an HP laptop, WIN7, 64 bit. Excel 2007.

Until recently I used a desktop with 32Bit WIN7, Excel 2007 and Excel files opened normally after the password was entered.

Any fix for this? The double entry is a nuisance.

Thanks,
    Walt
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
    Password protection can't be circumvented, you're getting these because of the choices you've made. If you add a password to VIEW a worksheet, then of course you'll have to provide that password if you have PREVIEW turned on in the file selection window.

Turn off the PREVIEW choice and that should turn off the second password requirement.

Excel isn't really a "secure" environment anyway, so passwords are only the mildest of security, any determined person can get around them. In my office we deal with the security issue by NOT sending out Excel and Word documents to people, we only send out PDF copies of sheets, which can also be password protected. But at least I don't have to lock myself out of my documents since they don't get "sent" anywhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Create a link in a pdf file for open an Excel file in an specific sheet and cell [ 2 Answers ]

I know how to create a hyperlink in a pdf file that opens an Excel file but I don't know how this link can opens the Excel file in a specific sheet and cell; any ideas?

MS-Excel 2007 takes too long to open a file [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using XP pro and Excel-2007. Recently switched to Office 2007 (from Office 2003) and have the following problem when opening any Excel file: When I try to open an Excel file, MS-Excel starts right away but it takes while (MUCH LONGER as compared with Excel-2003) before the file opens/gets...

Excel. Can't see the top of the file when open to move it lol [ 6 Answers ]

OK, this is a strange problem. I am not a novice.. I know Excel quite well but I have encountered this issue. So when I open this file (File A) maximized, it is fine. However, for this particular part of my job, I need 2 excel files open at the same time. So I stretch Excel out across my...

View more questions Search