Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maddieleesmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
    Can you add the father on birth certificate if he
    Can someone please give me your advice/knowledge? I have an 8 year old daughter. Her bio dad did not show up to sign the birth certificate. He has had contact with her a handful of times in the last 3 years- only through his mother. My husband and I want to put his name on the birth certificate since my daughter considers him her dad anyway. And maybe change her last name to ours. Can I get in trouble for adding his name if I know he's not the bio dad? What steps would I have to take to get this done? And lastly is it expensive? Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
    No, first this would be "FRAUD" and illegal. He will need to adopt the child.

May 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
    Thanks for your quick response. I hate that a neglegent father has more rights than a responsible loving step-father. Never thought I would be in this situation and its very hard to see my daughter in pain and confused about why he won't see her anymore. But anyway, thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
    The bio father has the right to go to court for changes in custody, for visitation and for other legal issues about child. A step parent has no legal rights to the child what so ever.

In most cases if the mother of the child has been very active in in going after the bio father for child support they are somewhat happy to sign over their rights to allow for adoption.

May 16, 2012, 02:05 PM
    Thanks that's very helpful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 25 and want to add my father to my birth certificate. [ 1 Answers ]

I am 25 and want to add my father to my birth certificate can I do so with out a DNA test?

How do I add my father on my birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Im 20 years old and want my dad's name on my birth certificate

How to add my child's father to birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My child's father was incarcerate at the time of my daughter's birth. He just put his self on child support. Do you think the attorney general will fix the birth certificate?

Can I add my father to my birth certificate? [ 7 Answers ]

I have just found out that my father is not on my birth certifitate, he is currently going through the courts to get access to his son, who is my half brother, but his ex is saying she doesn't want me seeing her son, as my father is not on my birth certificte, therefore her solicitors have informed...

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

View more questions Search