Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swartzbaugh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 09:42 PM
    Temp Power Outages and Surages
    In the last year I have been having the lights in my 5 year old home flickering with the occasional outage for a few seconds. Just recently one room in the house surged while at the same time another room went out. Again this lasted about a second or two. I had our power provider come out and check their side and everything was fine up to the meter. I then had an electrician check the panel for obvious signs (loose neutral, breaker, or discolored wires and screws) NOTHING!

I have a 200 amp service hooked up to a 200 amp Square D Homelite 40/40 Panel.

Could the main be bad?

If so, how do I check it?

If not than what?

Thanks,
    I hope you can help!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 05:44 AM
    This sure sounds like a loose neutral. A loose connection in a shared neutral will cause the voltage on one leg to rise to abnormal levels, while the other leg will go down.

Did the electrician check those specific circuits you noticed fluctuate to determine if it may only because of a shared neutral for those circuits and not the whole house?

This can be on the utility side if the problem is not in your system. Have the utility check the connections inside the meter, at the weatherhead, and at the transformer.

You can ask the utility to install a voltage recorder to monitor the events occurring at least on their side, The electrician can do the same.

A defective main breaker will not cause the symptoms you are having.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temp set at 72 but temp won't go above 66 [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Lennox Pulse 21 furnace. Temp is set at 72 but the furnace stops once the temp reaches 66 degrees. Thermostat seems to be working. The seems to be a problem just when it is really cold (0 to 10 degrees).

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Temp gauge showing temp, 2001 Chev Malibu [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Chev Malibu LS, V6, temp gauge is not showing any heat at all, not registering when I know the coolant is hot ? Veh has about 126000 mi on it, never been flushed out, thought I would attempt to flush myself but don't you think the problem might be a bad thermostat ? If so, where and...

Question about supply temp. & return temp. [ 3 Answers ]

The AC system produced supply temps. At 57-60 degrees on the first floor With a return temp. of 71 degrees. The second floor supply temp. is at 59 degrees with a return temp. of 72 degrees. I know there should be at least a 15 degree temp. difference from the supply to return. There was also an...

View more questions Search