Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmull65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 03:09 PM
    1996 polaris 500 4x4
    OK... so I have a 1996 Polaris 500 4x4. It was working fine it had a little bit of problems holding the battery though. So I would have to pull start it but one time when I pull started it the string wouldn't go back in but it started and it started to make a loud clanking/grinding noise from around the pull string area just sitting there I wasn't riding it or anything but it started doing that out of nowhere? Could I have broke the gears or what?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmull65 View Post
    OK...so i have a 1996 Polaris 500 4x4. It was working fine it had a little bit of problems holding the battery though. So i would have to pull start it but one time when i pull started it the string wouldnt go back in but it started and it started to make a loud clanking/grinding noise from around the pull string area just sitting there i wasnt riding it or anything but it started doing that out of nowhere? could i have broke the gears or what??
    In my opinion, what has happened is, through not enough use, the pull-start return clutches have become sticky and need cleaned and serviced iin order to function properly.
    It can be a DIYer job if you have the 'tools' needed.
    Do you have the manual? Owner's or Operator's? Anything with their website listed should lead you to the pdf you need. If not, Google the model and see what you find.

Getting back to why the battery is not holding it's own... How old is the battery?
    Do you have any way to test the battery or the charging system? What kind of condition are the cables?
    If the battery and alternator are deemed OK, break out a scrubbie pad of your choice and clean both ends of both cables and try a re-start. After that, the only thing left is the starter. That's tougher to test since it's only working under a HUGE load!
    Let's hope the problem is resolved before that...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dawson's Delivery Service purchased equipment for $2,500. The Company $500 in cash an [ 1 Answers ]

Dawson's Delivery Service purchased equipment for $2,500. The Company $500 in cash and signed a note for the balance. Dawson debited the Equipment account, credited Cash and

1996 GMC Truck Sierra V 8 4X4 165,000 miles [ 3 Answers ]

I was Driving and the truck turned off. It turns over but it won't start. When I turn the switch on to the first position the radio turns on but when I put the switch on the 2nd position none of the dash or warning lights or gauge or check engine lights turn on. I checked all the fuses and put a...

Small vibration while in 4x4 (2004 Chevy 2500 4x4) [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a small vibration when I place my truck in 4x4. I can tell it only happens while in 4x4, because I put it in and out of 4x4 several times and it only happens when I put it in 4x4. It has 130,000 miles and have had little to no trouble with truck so far. I am not especially hard on...

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 problems with HEATER warming the dashboard+window! Help? [ 1 Answers ]

The heater works fine... in the motor area. But when I turn the dial and now the heat only comes out of the bottom and it won't come out of the dash and hit the window. It doesn't even seem to heat the cab. But there is enough heat coming, just not into the cab to the warm it. We have no idea...

New Transmission for a 1996 Kia Sportage 4x4. 5sp [ 2 Answers ]

I have looked around and the only reasonably priced one was in Southern Illinois. I live in the Central Michigan region. :( Would it be cheaper to pay someone to rebuild this tranny or buy a new one. If I should buy one where would be a good place to look? Rick

View more questions Search