Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
    I quit!
    I quit!

I've claimed that I will quit... and even did quit a few times, but now it's for good.

I am sick and tired of being a slave to this thing that just kicks my butt and shortens my life.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers - cast a spell or do whatever it is that you do for those that you want to help...

I quit. I'm done.

Friday, 5/18/2012 will be the last day that I smoke cigarettes.

Can y'all help me out by posting a reply of encouragement?

Thank you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 15, 2012, 11:54 AM
    I hereby ask fhe great white father in the forest of creation to grant you cessation from smoking cigarettes on Friday the 18th; I promise to walk backwards around my teepee for the next three risings of the moon to grant you the power to carry out your wishes.

LET IT BE DONE
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Rick I'm with you on this . Stick with it no matter how tough it gets .

Immediate and Long-Term Effects of Quitting Smoking - Smoking Cessation Center - EverydayHealth.com
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 15, 2012, 01:13 PM
    Come on you old fart its easy.
    I kicked the evil weed after neigh 20 years of abuse ;)
    It CAN be done, but you need to find something to focus on
    That and some damn good drugs ;)

I used a combination of patches and gum/mints, but 8 weeks later and I was smoke free, FINALLY..

That was over a year ago now and I must say I.m very glad that I did..
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 02:55 PM
    Go for it, I've been free for forty years, everyday is a day you don't smoke, don't buy a packet of cirgarettes, you are now a non-smoker, you don't smoke, all the best
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
    Our beloved DrBill and Jim Parsons (Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory) have a few ideas for you.

Here's Jim's -- Jim Parsons Tells David Letterman How He Kicked the Habit | XFINITY TV Blog by Comcast
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
    I may be no help as I am a smoker too. I've tried many things to quit even hypnotism.
    Patches made me sick, welbutrin made me a zombie.
    When (not if) you succeed, post back and let me know what you did.
    I know I will feel better, look better, smell better, but I lack the willpower to not buy another pack.
    Maybe you could prod me a little with your success.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
    As a kid I saw my mom decide she was not going to smoke anymore. On that day she just stopped . I did basically the same thing when I decided to put childish ways behind me((1 Corinthians 13:11) and end my prolific use of recreational drugs.

I'm not saying it is that easy by any means. I have seen people battle addiction all my life . It can be a monumental challenge and any support and encouragement goes a long way . I pray the transition for you is as easy as my moms.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 15, 2012, 04:50 PM
    Yes, smoke free is best... no more smelly clothes... no more yellow walls... no more yellow dribbles down the bathroom walls that the spouse has to clean off periodically.

We applaud your resolution rick... just go for it...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2012, 05:25 PM
    Just take up drinking. Kidding, sort of. ;)

I wish you the best of luck. If you figure out how to do it, let me in on the secret.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 16, 2012, 02:29 AM
    Take up a sport that requires some cardiovascular fitness... watch how much better your lungs can handle that sport after quitting - you won't believe the difference.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Sunflower seeds. You can do this, Rick..
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 05:10 AM
    Thank you all, for your encouragement. I KNOW I can do it. I've done it before, but it was just stupidity that I got back into it.

I recognize that I am a smokeaholic, so I can't even take one puff after I quit this time.

Today I'm going to smoke until I feel like puking, so that my last memory of smoking is an unpleasant one.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Today I'm going to smoke until I feel like puking
    Coating your lungs with thick black tar can't be a good solution any way you look at it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2012, 05:31 AM
    Nothing more exciting in life than lighting that smoke while using a O2 tank to help you breath.
    Nothing more sexy than yellow teeth that smell like smoke.

Look at all you are losing
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 05:43 AM
    Thanks again for the encouraging comments. Really. Reminders of the horrid outcome to smokers is definitely encouraging.

I've been spending the week "gearing up" for this. I've got a full weekend planned for fun stuff in non-smoking environments... and will be chugging water to help speed along the cleaning of my system.

... might chug a beer or three also :)
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2012, 06:10 AM
    I agree with karma about that smoking until you puke plan for today, not being the best of ideas.
    The sooner you quit the sooner you start racking up hours since last smoke.
    By going so public with this plan, you have a lot of people watching and rooting (in their own ways) for you now. We know that you wouldn't let us down. How much money will you be saving? Keep us posted.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2012, 06:17 AM
    I could always post those pictures the Obama administration wants to put on cigarette packs if that'll help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Today I'm going to smoke until I feel like puking, so that my last memory of smoking is an unpleasant one.
    Hello Rick:

That's how I quit. I went to Shick, and endured 10 days of sheer misery. But, I stopped.

Shick is out of biz, but there's NO reason why you can't set up your own "shick". The first day, they put you in a stinky room with an overflowing ashtray. You smoke three cigarettes back to back as fast as you can. They get hotboxed real fast, and by the time you're half way through the first one you want to puke. It's burning your mouth. It's burning your fingers.. Oh, yeah.. When you reach for the cigarette, you get a mild shock. When you put in your mouth, a mild shock. When you exhale, a mild shock..

You can't smoke in between visits and you go for 10 days. Now, I know you don't have the shocker, but maybe you can ask your wife to whack you on the head.

I HOPE you do it, no matter HOW. You're my friend, and I HATE to see you poisoning yourself. My dad died at 51. That's damn near 20 years of life that I've had, that tobacco robbed him of.

excon
    Uber Member

May 18, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Rick:

That's how I quit. I went to Shick, and endured 10 days of sheer misery. But, I stopped.

Shick is outta biz, but there's NO reason why you can't set up your own "shick". The first day, they put you in a stinky room with an overflowing ashtray. You smoke three cigarettes back to back as fast as you can. They get hotboxed real fast, and by the time you're half way through the first one you wanna puke. It's burning your mouth. It's burning your fingers.. Oh, yeah.. When you reach for the cigarette, you get a mild shock. When you put in your mouth, a mild shock. When you exhale, a mild shock..

You can't smoke in between visits and you go for 10 days. Now, I know you don't have the shocker, but maybe you can ask your wife to whack you on the head.

I HOPE you do it, no matter HOW. You're my friend, and I HATE to see you poisoning yourself. My dad died at 51. That's damn near 20 years of life that I've had, that tobacco robbed him of.

excon
    I am doing something similar. My car ashtray is a pop bottle half filled with water because I've always hated throwing butts out the window. Since I made this quit date, I've been unscrewing the cap and taking a big whiff of what's in that bottle.

I am quitting today so as to not put my family and friends through grief that I could have avoided. I just had a full physical on Tuesday, including a chest x-ray. Despite that I've smoked for 30 years, all was good... I plan to KEEP it that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim Question - Husband quit claiming to wife? (no divorce) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the process of finding out how to proceed with a quit claim on a piece of residential property that I purchased in my name only, but after I married my husband. We live in GA (and in the house in question). My understanding is that since I purchased the house after we married, and...

Can your boss assume you quit when you did not quit? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been sick the last few weeks, with a major illness, and one of my bosses has not seen me work for 3 weeks due to me being in high school. I only work 1 day every 2 weeks. My Boss assumed I had quit when in reality I had not quit. Is this legal?

Should I quit? [ 7 Answers ]

Sorry, this is a bit of a long situation to explain... Some of you may remember my story, but I started dating this guy in late February and he broke things off with me in mid May, right before I left school for the summer, for various reasons, all which can be summarized into the fact that he...

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

View more questions Search